Where were you 50 years ago?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Where were you 50 years ago?

Post by Gene Howe »

I was sitting in an anteroom, waiting to testify in a Courts Martial.

The only radio station we could get was a weak AFRS station. The Sgt of Arms had a tiny little transistor radio turned up as loud as it would go. After a bit, the prosecuting officer, a Lt. Col. came out and asked what the H... was all the noise out there. At that time the early reports were that The Gov. and LBJ had been killed too. When told this, he never hesitated. Just said "Well, turned that damned thing off. We've got a courts Martial going on in here!" The offense? The defendant had been caught in an off limits establishment.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

50 years ago today I was in my mother's womb...born ~8 months later.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

dgale wrote:50 years ago today I was in my mother's womb...born ~8 months later.
49??? You're but a youngster. I sorta envy you.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:I was sitting in an anteroom, waiting to testify in a Courts Martial.

The only radio station we could get was a weak AFRS station. The Sgt of Arms had a tiny little transistor radio turned up as loud as it would go. After a bit, the prosecuting officer, a Lt. Col. came out and asked what the H... was all the noise out there. At that time the early reports were that The Gov. and LBJ had been killed too. When told this, he never hesitated. Just said "Well, turned that damned thing off. We've got a courts Martial going on in here!" The offense? The defendant had been caught in an off limits establishment.

I was atop a mountain at an AF early warning radar station in Kalispell, Mt. when we heard. We had just finished shoveling a path so that the cook could off load our noon meals which were there in thermo packs in the back of a truck getting cold. They got even colder by the time we quit watching the news broadcast and decided to eat.

Interestingly, we were not aware of what had happened until the news was a couple hours old. My wife called or we might not have known until we got down off the mountain at night. We had a TV there but were not allowed to watch it except for special occasions. This is one special occasion that I wish had never occurred.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Near Darby, Montana. I was on snowshoes, helping a forest landowner to learn proper selection of marking trees for harvesting and thinning. Got to his house for dinner and learned the news.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Just a gleam in my father's eye. (Recently turned 49)
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
dcohenour
Gold Member

Post by dcohenour »

I was three years old, and have a memory of everyone being very sad. I remember my mom walking me to a park that day, and her talking to some other lady. I distinctly remember both of them being sad.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I was at a National Guard Armory in Brooklyn NY taking a Physical Training class in the NYPD Police Academy
Bill V
2centsworth
Gold Member

A Sad Day Indeed

Post by 2centsworth »

I was in Dallas in the 7th grade jr high school. We heard the news and they let us out of school early. The problem was my oldest brother was the driver he was in High School so I sat in the car and listened to the radio, back then you could have the radio on without the key in the car. I can close my eyes and smell the car and remember the radio sounds of the men describing what was happening as if it had happened yesterday. We were out of school until after the Thansgiving Holiday the other thing I remember was how everyone blamed us in Dallas for the trajedy. Having lived in Dallas most of my life I have never visit the site. Funny thing most people in Dallas never have either. I worked at Parkland Hospital for 4 years in my mid 20's in the Pharmacy in the basement. Several times I tried to look up JFK's records but they were sealed in a vault and mr public was not getting a peak at them period. A sad day indeed.
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I was driving home on Rt 250 west of Richmond, Va for the weekend from the Naval base at Dam Neck, Va. I stopped at the next large gas station which had a TV and watch it for a couple hours. A time not easy to forget. I believe I got several more days off to stay at home on the following Mon. & Tues.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)