Shopsmith Demo Experience

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Demo Experience

Post by billmayo »

I went with another Forum member to visit the Shopsmith PowerPro demo at Lowes in Lakeland, FL on Friday. What an experience. After introducing our selves and saying we are Shopsmith owners, the demo person asked if we were buying anything today. We said no but was interested in what the PowerPro could accomplish. He told us to move on as he only wanted to to demo for people who might be buying today. Then another shopper stopped by the Shopsmith, he told us to move away so he could demo the machine to this person. He refused to give us his name (no name tag) and told us he had better things to do and moved away from us after the demo to the person who had stopped by. He did say he was recently from Alaska and was not familiar with anyone at Shopsmith. My only comment at that time was that he should have stayed in Alaska as we walked away. That was the most we got from him. After spending hours talking with other people at many Shopsmith demos over the years, this was a new Shopsmith experience for me. I am hoping this was a one time deal with this person as we only saw that one person talking to him during the time we were in the store.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:I went with another Forum member to visit the Shopsmith PowerPro demo at Lowes in Lakeland, FL on Friday. What an experience. After introducing our selves and saying we are Shopsmith owners, the demo person asked if we were buying anything today. We said no but was interested in what the PowerPro could accomplish. He told us to move on as he only wanted to to demo for people who might be buying today. Then another shopper stopped by the Shopsmith, he told us to move away so he could demo the machine to this person. He refused to give us his name (no name tag) and told us he had better things to do and moved away from us after the demo to the person who had stopped by. He did say he was recently from Alaska and was not familiar with anyone at Shopsmith. My only comment at that time was that he should have stayed in Alaska as we walked away. That was the most we got from him. After spending hours talking with other people at many Shopsmith demos over the years, this was a new Shopsmith experience for me. I am hoping this was a one time deal with this person as we only saw that one person talking to him during the time we were in the store.

I speculate that not only is he from far away, but also of a 'newer' generation.

I feel sorrow for my grand children!:(

If anyone observed this simpleton I hope he did not sour them on the company.:eek:

P.S. And you could have possibly helped him get a sale(willingly)! Idiots are made, not born.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JonE
Gold Member

Post by JonE »

I was a demonstrator/salesperson for Shopsmith many years ago, during the state fair and woodworking show days. I was a professional salesperson and sales trainer before and after. Their sales philosophy at that time was was that of high pressure, close on the spot. Though they have changed some, this is an example of not nearly enough. Shopsmith has relatively few demos these days and just an isolated experience like this can create more challenges moving forward. Always looking backwards at the glory days of shopping mall demos and sales, I believe the companies inability to evolve into today's market of information/education based consultative sales is the reason why they still struggle. Given a different marketing strategy, I also believe Shopsmith could do far better. Dispite the large numbers of older folks like us, there is a new generation that would become part of the loyal following that we now represent.
JonE
Gold Member

Post by JonE »

Btw, you are absolutely right about the ability of current owners being able to help create sales. If demos are to continue to be one of the marketing strategies, there should be a program of identifying current owners in the area and inviting them along with an appreciation gift of a speed chart, plans etc something of low cost but high value (though for many recognition and the opportunity to spend some time with other owners would be enough) . It's clear that Lowe's does very little to promote these demos and many times there are very few attendees. A larger number people, especially those with an understanding and passion for Shopsmith would do nothing but create an atmosphere of excitement. The idea of the salesperson that "cranky old owners with problems and useless questions" get in the way of sales is that of an unprofessional salesperson. The membership of this forum and other owners are the life's blood of Shopsmith. They certainly shouldn't run the company but if Shopsmith wants to grow the company they should allow owners of machines to help them. Having been a professional cabinet maker for 12 years and a sales and marketing professional for the last 25, I can honestly say I love my Shopsmiths and part of that is due to the information and passion that the members of this forum provide. Thanks
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

JonE wrote:Given a different marketing strategy, I also believe Shopsmith could do far better. Dispite the large numbers of older folks like us, there is a new generation that would become part of the loyal following that we now represent.

You hit the nail on the head. So far, I have enlisted 5 friends into the shopsmith world. We are all generation X. I'm not sure millenials would go for it...iPhones as toddlers and no idea of how to do build or fix anything themselves. I think they are the lost generation...anyone seen Wall-E?

Each of us now has a used shopsmith or two (refurbished by me). Between the 6 of us, we have paid shopsmith over 3k in sales. 2 like it so much they are considering new powerpros. To me, there is nothing else like the shopsmith on the market. I'm sick of overpriced Chinese crap being close to the only purchase option for tools (and almost anything else). I feel the pendulum could easily swing back and shopsmith could really do well.

I have yet to ask anyone my age or younger what a shopsmith is and get anything but a blank stare. However, when I show them...everyone thinks they are awesome. If shopsmith doesn't get their name out there more, they will die out with my father's generation.

Edit: P.S. that guy should be happy I wasn't there. I had a trugreen salesman stop by the other day and my wife answered. When she told him "no thank you" he replied with, "Really? Your yard looks like shit." I followed him around my whole neighborhood spoiling any sale he might have made. It took me 3 hours but I feel it was time well spent :D
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

I have been to several Shopsmith Mark V and Mark 7/PowerPro demos. The Mark 7 is the cat's meow in all it can do with the double-tilt feature and the DVR motor in my humble opinion.

Typically most people who attend demos are Shopsmith owners who are there to see what the PowerPro can do. At one demo I first went to, there were no purchases even though about 5 people showed up.

The next demo about 30-45 minutes later resulted in a number of sales after more people showed up. Being it was at Lowe's, buyers were able to use their Lowe's charge card and enjoy 18 months of interest-free credit. Lowe's offers that special 4 times a year. Some others, along with myself stayed to watch some more. Military people (active and retired) were able to enjoy a 10% discount which Lowe's extends to current and retired servicemen/women.

I bit, as did several others and took advantage of the 18 months to pay for what I purchased without shelling out a lot of money all at one time. Shopsmith had raised their retail prices a few days prior to this demo, but the old prices were being honored at this demo event. Many items such as the double-tilt kit had gone up significantly in price. So there were some opportunities to save money to be had.

If I recall correctly, Shopsmith notified and posted the locations of the demos so Shopsmith owners can attend. I remember the demo person at the last demo I attended first thanking us for being long-time Shopsmith customers before he showed us how easy the PowerPro could do tasks that the older Shopsmiths were unable to. Despite my seeing the PowerPro online, it was amazing to see it actually being used.

There is no excuse in my humble opinion to have received the treatment you received. I think Shopsmith missed an huge opportunity here to make some sales or at least plant some seeds in people's minds. I imagine these demo people are independent contractors who are able to write their own scripts when dealing with customers. There are You Tube videos and Shopsmith webinars, but nothing takes the place of actually seeing the PowerPro cutting through wood like a hot knife through butter while you can smell the wood and hear how smooth and quiet the PowerPro operates.

I hope you get another chance to see a PowerPro in action. I don't think I'll waste my time going to another Shopsmith demo as it takes some time for me to drive to the demo locations and I have all I think I'll ever need. I recently was invited to a Shopsmith webinar with Doug Reid. It isn't the same as actually seeing the Mark 7 in operation, but Doug does a really good job of welcoming people, reminding people about safety, and then showing what the Mark 7/PowerPro can do along with answering any questions people might have.

Good luck maybe next time.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Well, now I absolutely must go to the demo when it comes to Tucson in January. I do hope that this same nurd is not the demonstrator.

I have been to three demos in the last year at which I witnessed PowerPro and Mark 7 sales. Guess what. The buyers were already Shopsmith owners.

Link to current demo schedule.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Hope the admin is following this thread.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joshh wrote:You hit the nail on the head. So far, I have enlisted 5 friends into the shopsmith world. We are all generation X. I'm not sure millenials would go for it...iPhones as toddlers and no idea of how to do build or fix anything themselves. I think they are the lost generation...anyone seen Wall-E?

Each of us now has a used shopsmith or two (refurbished by me). Between the 6 of us, we have paid shopsmith over 3k in sales. 2 like it so much they are considering new powerpros. To me, there is nothing else like the shopsmith on the market. I'm sick of overpriced Chinese crap being close to the only purchase option for tools (and almost anything else). I feel the pendulum could easily swing back and shopsmith could really do well.

I have yet to ask anyone my age or younger what a shopsmith is and get anything but a blank stare. However, when I show them...everyone thinks they are awesome. If shopsmith doesn't get their name out there more, they will die out with my father's generation.

Edit: P.S. that guy should be happy I wasn't there. I had a trugreen salesman stop by the other day and my wife answered. When she told him "no thank you" he replied with, "Really? Your yard looks like shit." I followed him around my whole neighborhood spoiling any sale he might have made. It took me 3 hours but I feel it was time well spent :D
You would most likely get that same blank stare if you had asked about a Delta Unisaw or a SawStop. Young folks today are just not interested in wood working. Even my kids and grand kids have drifted away from the shop which is very disappointing to me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Well, now I absolutely must go to the demo when it comes to Tucson in January. I do hope that this same nurd is not the demonstrator.

I have been to three demos in the last year at which I witnessed PowerPro and Mark 7 sales. Guess what. The buyers were already Shopsmith owners.

Link to current demo schedule.
'u' for an 'e' or 'n' for a 't'??(spell check question):D?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange