Woodworking/Cabinetmaking classes

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Don't get me wrong I love taking classes for any reason and the four cabinet making classes looked great. I just question the value of the degree.

While in Tuscon a few weeks ago I took a photography class, I hope people have noticed how much better my pictures are that I post on the forum.;)
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

I've been thinking about this as well.. I'm a 40-something that took a wood shop class in elementary school a LONG time ago and loved it, but never really used woodworking tools at home after that (my father owned an older model Craftsman RAS and some hand-saws -- that was about it for wood tools). I've got a local occupational center but am not convinced its worth taking since there may be too many prerequisites needed.. However, my local community college has an entire construction technology track that offers at least two furniture making classes (each with 1 hour of class + 3 hours of lab each meeting) that I think would be interesting.. I've got a query in to them to see if I can just drop-take the classes without needing to satisfy some sort of degree/certificate program.. We'll see how that goes..
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

I too agree with Ed.
A good craftsman will always be in demand, no matter what the economy is doing, and what you will gain from your course will be offset many times over the $ you will put into it. Especially since you are in a profession that knows precision, your work shall reflect that.
The caution I would give to you would be to watch the reaction of your instructors when you state you have a Shop Smith. I find it amusing where ever I go and with whomever I am speaking.....I don't know if it is a "guy" thing, a snob thing, or what, but the usual reaction is in the negative, especially from folks who have either something to sell, or are stuck in their ways of woodworking. I am quick to agree with their viewpoint that you can't cut a sheet of plywood on a SS, but past that it gets to be fun.
Good luck and enjoy.
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

2manband wrote:I wanted to get everybody's input on the value of taking some formal classes. Who has? What was your experience?...

I'm thinking about signing up for some classes at my local community college -I should be able to get 16 credits of cabinetmaking education for about $1750 over the course of the next 2 years...

What do you think? Would something like this be worthwhile? Has most of your knowledge come through experience, education, or an equal mix of both?
I've had experience both taking and presenting classes at the local Vo-Ed school, while employed in Montana.

Both experiences were greatly rewarding! Hey! you've got your BS-CE and employed and can evidently afford the costs. So-what's to lose? It looks like a winner to me!

Now retired, and happily engaged in my hobby of woodworking, - if I had this opportunity, I'd jump at it! Finding the bucks would be a slight issue, but would do it! I would guess the total cost at a little over $2,500 after adding in the wood and new supplies I would want to buy.

After reviewing the curriculum, it appears you could never regret this schooling, It sounds like a positive, in all ways! At worst the instructor might be a SS nay sayer. But just think - you may be able to help him to overcome such prejudice.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Len:

I guess I'm like the Bumble Bee who didn't know that he wasn't supposed to be able to fly. I've cut 4'x8' plywood sheets on my Shopsmith for years with only one helper, usually my wife. I also used two roller stands.

When my Shopsmith was still a 500 I made an auxillary fence, five feet long, that bolted to the std fence with two carriage bolts and wing nuts. Later when the machine was upgraded to 520, I found that I could still get excellent results using the Pro-Fence only.

I was dumb and happy, not knowing that the Shopsmith couldn't be used for cutting plywood sheets.

ps: don't tell the Bumble bee, he likes things just the way they are!
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

So I see you and the bumblebees don't believe aeronautical engineers, who've proved that they can't fly!
I am surprised with you!
And thanks for information about cutting a sheet. It is the first usual response I get when others find out about my SS and the like. I am still amazed at how accurate SS are! A recent video had Nick advising folks, generally to cut a sheet, though he mentioned it could be done as well, but to use a buddy all the same. Take care of your buddy and she'll help you out a bunch!

8iowa wrote:Len:

I guess I'm like the Bumble Bee who didn't know that he wasn't supposed to be able to fly. I've cut 4'x8' plywood sheets on my Shopsmith for years with only one helper, usually my wife. I also used two roller stands.

When my Shopsmith was still a 500 I made an auxillary fence, five feet long, that bolted to the std fence with two carriage bolts and wing nuts. Later when the machine was upgraded to 520, I found that I could still get excellent results using the Pro-Fence only.

I was dumb and happy, not knowing that the Shopsmith couldn't be used for cutting plywood sheets.

ps: don't tell the Bumble bee, he likes things just the way they are!
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Len wrote:I am quick to agree with their viewpoint that you can't cut a sheet of plywood on a SS, but past that it gets to be fun.
Good luck and enjoy.

I also have had no issues cutting 4x8 sheets, the only thing I do is connect a remote power switch so I can safely turn it on. Someday I will figure out a permanent solution with a magnetic switch, now I only connect it for a short time when I can't reach the switch.

I do have a very complete set of extension brackets, and tables, front, back and both sides as well as a roller stand. I like Nicks method but I don't have the room for the extra stand he made. More important is unless the person you are speaking to has Norm Abrams saw it is unlikely they can cut sheet goods either.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

There are many methods to learn how to do something. Educators know that one method of teaching is not beneficial to all students. What I am getting at is this: Some people will benefit greatly with class room type learning, i.e., being told how to do something. Others will learn better with hands-on training, i.e., experience. Many will be able to read a book and absorb everything that they will need to know on that subject.

Everyone posting an opinion about this is right, because each method and idea applies to some of us and not one of them applies to all of us. If a classroom setting is what you need to learn how to make cabinets, then by-all-means, take the classes.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
2manband
Gold Member

Post by 2manband »

Well, I sent an email to the admissions department requesting a meeting with one of the advisers. I want to make sure I can place out of the math and English prerequisites, and that I live in a school district that qualifies for reduced tuition.

A few folks have mentioned the classroom vs. practical experience issue. In the couses I'm considering, there would be about 1 hour of instruction and 2 hours of shop time in each 3 hour class, and class size is limited to 6 students. It's not held at the college, but off-site, at a commercial custom cabinetry shop. I do expect it to be geared more toward commercial production, but I think that a lot of the techniques I'd learn would be perfectly applicable to hobby woodworking.

Thanks for all the input - I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm going to sign up - at least for the first class, and see how it goes.