backorders.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Back orders, Back orders.
I placed an order on Jan. 20 and still haven't received it. I called the company last week and they told me they are still waiting on some of the parts to complete the order (Kreg Bandsaw Fence System). They told me the parts would arrive at the factory around the 1st of March, and I should have my order a week later.
Hope so, its been a month and half now. Patients is a virtue, but sometimes it is forced upon you.:(
It's the longest I have ever had to wait for an order except for the Incra Ultra System. That order showed up throughout a month and half period, a little here, a little there. But I finally got all of it.:)
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
billmayo
Platinum Member

Larger Extension Table

Post by billmayo »

I have converted a few 500 main tables for use as an extension table. I have not bent the tie bar yet by placing a heavy load on the table. The table can be tilted. I made it originally to be used it on either end of a Mini Shopsmith which does not have the carriage and main table. I have used it with the conical and regular sanding discs. I have used it with the saw blade in an emergency when the regular Shopsmith was not available. The saw guards can be used. I use collars on the table legs for set positions since the carriage is not used. I have found many more uses for this conversion table since building them.

Bill Mayo http://www.billstoolz.com
billmayo
Platinum Member

Larger Extension Table

Post by billmayo »

I have converted a few 500 main tables for use as an extension table. I cut the back leg off the tie bar and rewelded it to the tie bar. I have not bent the tie bar yet by placing a heavy load on the table. The table can be tilted. I made it originally to be used it on either end of a Mini Shopsmith which does not have the carriage and main table. I have used it with the conical and regular sanding discs. I have used it with the saw blade in an emergency when the regular Shopsmith was not available. The saw guards can be used. I use collars on the table legs for set positions since the carriage is not used. I have found many more uses for these conversion tables since building them.

Bill Mayo http://www.billstoolz.com
mtobey wrote: To add to the utility of that bar, a wider extension table for the right end of the SS should be offered as a single product that does not require a full 520 upgrade. I am working on a way to connect the main and extension so that raising and lowering is in tandem. I have dummied up a connecting bar arrangement x 2. The most problematic issue is minimizing bind on the support tubes on the extension. I cannot see that the locking can be sidelined, so polishing the tubes and figuring out a bearing -bronze bushing that accomodates the notches for locking is quite a challenge.

I have run on too long and should have blocked out more paragraphs- sorry, I was on a roll.mt
Attachments
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG (99.45 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
johnm
Gold Member

All dressed up and nowhere to go...

Post by johnm »

Well I've got my '55 greenie Mark V all oiled up, the speed control is fixed, I've got a nice new SS combo saw blade...and I still can't use it since my saw guard upgrade is still on backorder :( Latest ETA for factory parts is March 21 according to the nice lady on the phone.

I know that eventually the guards will get here and I can start making sawdust, but it is a bit frustrating since I've been waiting for these since December. I've resisted the urge to run it "1955 retro-style" (without the guards) for this long, so I guess I can wait some more.

I even thought about getting the 500 to 510 upgrade just to get the guards, but my budget can't handle that much ($700 will buy a lot of lumber), especially for someone just wanting to dabble.
John Mallick
Dripping Springs, TX

Beginning Woodworker
Passable Barbecue'er
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

johnm wrote:I even thought about getting the 500 to 510 upgrade just to get the guards, but my budget can't handle that much ($700 will buy a lot of lumber), especially for someone just wanting to dabble.

When you are ready to make the plunge and you will, skip the 510. IMHO the 520 is so much better.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC