backorders.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Like I said- always told the truth. Refreshing in these times. That kind of integrity is "olden days." Shouldn't be, but is. If we want our favorite multi-purpose tool to survive, then we need to think of the factory and its folks as family. You go a bit farther (further,take your pick) for family. In just a few short months the Shopsmith,Nick, Jan, and other staffers and the members here have brought flexibility(more importantly,joy) to my woodworking with a system that evolved into its present basic design in the mid 50's. Thank you.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

MT- I would like to second your two posts in this thread. Therefore - DITTO!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

SS, and especially Nick as their representative, have been surprisingly up front about their problems and what they are trying to do to fix them. I am all for this refreshing approach and, even though they do not implement our suggestions, they at least ask for and consider what our ideas are.

ImageI want ShopSmith to stay around and I want them to keep as much of their product as possible made in America. ImageI would rather wait a few weeks for an American made product then get an overseas product immediately.

As for the Emerson electric motors, I prefer that SS sought out an US company to fulfill their requirements, but I would rather buy Mexican (an [North]American country and a NAFTA partner) made products then Asian country made products that compete with US companies in unfair ways.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Backorders

Post by easterngray »

I recently had some back orders shipped. As usual, I was delighted when the box marked "Shopsmith" was waiting by the door. Sure I would've liked to have it shipped as soon as I ordered it, but patience is a virtue, and for SS, I'm willing to wait. Imagine if there was no Shopsmith Inc. to order from. I'm sure there are legions of offshore companies, product in hand, eager to ship immediately to my door. No thank you, I'll wait patiently right here 'till my SS orders arrive. I have been guilty of impatience in the past, but some simple reflection on this matter has made me "grow in grace" as it were. They have my support, will get my money, (what there is of it :) ) and I don't mind waiting one bit. It's an attitude that will help Shopsmith survive, and that is something I genuinely want. Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

One thing they could do, however, is send and email to let a person know something will go on backorder.

I placed two orders "recently". One via the telephone about a month (or more) ago and one online Feb 22. The online order arrived within a week. Who knows the status of the other order.

I don't mind waiting either, but Shopsmith really could and should do a better job of keeping people informed.:mad:

Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

backorders

Post by dusty »

You know that you can check order status yourself. :rolleyes:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Boy, the things you learn on this forum! This got me to thinking: ( yeah, yeah, a dangerous thing to do) since the motor is from Emerson, has anyone replaced their motor with another one such as from GE or another supplier? If so, what modifications would have to be done?

BPR
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Paul- I think they are trying to do that with the "Owner's Page" and the emails about orders. It would appear,though that their system needs a bit of tech glitter. Sometimes the email confirms come after delivery, sometimes the item ordered isn't listed in the blue block and the owner's order status report gives minimal help. But, they are sure making an effort, and as they improve, so long as they don't make the mistake of businesses who shed humans, they will get there and retain our good will -at least mine.

We are fortunate that so much of the line is home grown. And, recent arrangements with accessory manufacturers who are already first class, shows a move toward integration of new technology.

Bear with me here. I am really a handtool guy. I have several planes set to take .001 shavings. I have planes set with cambered irons to different degrees. I have chopping chisels and two styles of paring chisels. I could go on. The point is that today's woodworkers demand fine tolerances in their tools and results. No story sticks. No mortises laid out to match the width of the mortise chisel. Shopsmith has always offered the accuracy that is now pursued by avid hobbyists and some pros. The precision base of SS coordinates well with the likes of Incra, Kreg and other vendors. We may be entering the era of more interest in SS than ever before if marketing plays the right cards. In my opinion, one of the Aces is the miterslot -right now it is a joker. The Incra SS compatible bar from the 2000 and Express should be an instock part all of the time. It should be undrilled so that a competent buyer can retro fit to other long time SS accessories. It can be added to many other jigs and accessories, whether Incra or not. To add to the utility of that bar, a wider extension table for the right end of the SS should be offered as a single product that does not require a full 520 upgrade. I am working on a way to connect the main and extension so that raising and lowering is in tandem. I have dummied up a connecting bar arrangement x 2. The most problematic issue is minimizing bind on the support tubes on the extension. I cannot see that the locking can be sidelined, so polishing the tubes and figuring out a bearing -bronze bushing that accomodates the notches for locking is quite a challenge.

I have run on too long and should have blocked out more paragraphs- sorry, I was on a roll.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
joedw00
Platinum Member

Backorder

Post by joedw00 »

Very well put Nick, Thanks. I too have had to put with backorders, but it is worth the wait.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

If it'll keep their suppliers here in the U.S. I'll wait and try to use better planning so that the wait doesn't affect my desire to use the Mark V.
Example, I should have ordered the sawblade when it first entered my mind....instead of waiting a couple of weeks. (8iowa even reminded me of it)
Come to think of it, maybe I should've ordered two so I won't get caught with a dull blade.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D