MVII motor belt length

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Both length and width will affect the range.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
zenman
Gold Member

Post by zenman »

I just realized that I have been discussing the "Drive" belt and not the Poly V belt.
In which case the drive belt I have that seems to work is a Shopsmith 5OT490. 31" outside measurement. 1/2 " outside width and 3/8" inner width. 3/16" thickness.

I suppose my other belt is a good poly V belt which is 28" long. They sure do look alike.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

zenman wrote:I just realized that I have been discussing the "Drive" belt and not the Poly V belt.
In which case the drive belt I have that seems to work is a Shopsmith 5OT490. 31" outside measurement. 1/2 " outside width and 3/8" inner width. 3/16" thickness.

I suppose my other belt is a good poly V belt which is 28" long. They sure do look alike.

The M5/V poly-v belts are the same length as the MVII. The MVII belt is 4 ribs wider. It takes up the entire width of the pulleys.

507490 is the one in the manual. So, I need to reconsider my 29.5 conclusion.

Thank You for this information. Yer the first one to describe an original belt!!!!

P.S. A Mark 5/V poly-v belt will work on a MVII. Make sure to offset the same on both pulleys. I would be inclined to center it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
zenman
Gold Member

Post by zenman »

Apparently I bought a Mark V drive belt from bandsaw belt warehouse. Not very useful.

I bought a 31" Duralast belt from Autozone, 17305 and it fit great. Ribbed or cogged as they call it. A Gates belt is more money, but they didn't have.

$7.

I'll probably fire it up today.

Now onto a custom power switch. Those originals tend to misfire at this age even after spraying them with contact cleaner and/or motor cleaner.

I use foot switches to prevent using the original switch too often.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

zenman wrote:Apparently I bought a Mark V drive belt from bandsaw belt warehouse. Not very useful.

I bought a 31" Duralast belt from Autozone, 17305 and it fit great. Ribbed or cogged as they call it. A Gates belt is more money, but they didn't have.

$7.

I'll probably fire it up today.

Now onto a custom power switch. Those originals tend to misfire at this age even after spraying them with contact cleaner and/or motor cleaner.

I use foot switches to prevent using the original switch too often.
17/32" x 30.5 "

scroll down to see the specs.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-V-Belt-Belt/_/N-8gcul?itemIdentifier=66438_0_0_

As I stated earlier, a MV poly-v will work on the MVII. The belt BTW is selling is the same for either markx.
Interesting he has priced them differently for each model in the past.

Take the switch apart and form the contacts for more reliable operation.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hooookay!!!! I did some research and discovered my 'thinking' re Mark V belt length was incorrect.:eek: Not 25 1/2", but 26 1/2". That 25 1/2" is the longer of the 10E/R speed changer belts.:o

So since the shafts are 2" further apart, the MVII belt should be 30 1/2"!

This agrees with a few posts back with Zenman. So went to Autozone and got one(I now have 4 different length belts:D).

I am encouraged by this as 29 1/2" was not computing/working(and likely disguised the internal spacing I had with funky parts).

So with much clearer thinking re how to proceed, I think I see a glimmer of light from the end of the tunnel. I will elaborate on that if it works.;)

Thanks to all who have posted to this thread.

More to come.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Not owning a Mark VII, I've been following this thread with only one eye, and that one more that half shut, while sleeping. :D

But having just refreshed my memory on link belts over on the Power Station thread, I rediscovered that each link contributes about 0.930" to the belt length. Which might just provide a length that is no longer available in a conventional belt.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Not owning a Mark VII, I've been following this thread with only one eye, and that one more that half shut, while sleeping. :D

But having just refreshed my memory on link belts over on the Power Station thread, I rediscovered that each link contributes about 0.930" to the belt length. Which might just provide a length that is no longer available in a conventional belt.
Thank You, but remember the MVII also runs backwards.;)

My dilema has been determining the correct belt length(and I have funky parts to muddle things up further).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

[quote="JPG40504"]Thank You, but remember the MVII also runs backwards.]

Izzata problem? Tension is tension, regardless of which side of the pulley it be on. And I would never recommend pushing on a belt to transmit power. ;) Although I do have a vague recollection of once reading about a belt that could do just that ..

Seriously, though, there is a Mark VII for sale nearby that looks as if it might still be in original condition. If it would be helpful, I might be able to scoot over there his weekend and take some pics and/or measurements.
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Izzata problem? Tension is tension, regardless of which side of the pulley it be on. And I would never recommend pushing on a belt to transmit power. ]Mark VII for sale nearby[/URL] that looks as if it might still be in original condition. If it would be helpful, I might be able to scoot over there his weekend and take some pics and/or measurements.

Yes it is. Link type belts are not reversible. Note line #3 in the installation instructions from Fenner Drives:
Installation
1. Turn belt with tabs to the inside before installing.
2. Determine direction of drive rotation.
3. Belt must travel following the belt direction arrow (➞) with tabs trailing.
4. Fit belt in nearest groove of smaller pulley.
5. Roll belt onto larger pulley, turning the drive slowly. Belt may seem very tight; this is ok;
DO NOT JOG MOTOR.
6. Check to see all tabs are still in their correct position and are not twisted out of alignment.
7. For multiple belt drives, work belt from groove to groove. On particularly wide drives, it may be easier to install half the belts from the inboard side and half from the outboard.