What is the best way to store sanding belts?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

What is the best way to store sanding belts?

Post by pieceseeker »

Who has the best idea for storing SS sanding belts? I need the least waste of space and not compromise the integrity of the belt. Pics might help if you can!:)
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

:(
pieceseeker wrote:Who has the best idea for storing SS sanding belts? I need the least waste of space and not compromise the integrity of the belt. Pics might help if you can!:)
I'll be watching this because I have sanding belts whose integrity has been jeopardized by my storage methods.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

I'm curious as to how tight a curve can be safely achieved. Like maybe using a couple 1" dowels 6" wide on either end, clip it close to the dowel and then just roll it up in about an 8" circle and secured with tape or a zip tie.

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I don't have an answer, but how does Shopsmith ship them? I would think that would be the optimal shape...
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I wish I could remember the can numbering sizes but it don't seem to be there anymore. Anyway the can is 4-1/8" in dia. by 7-1/4" tall. We get things like pineapple juice in them. I cut the top off when they are washed up and drill a hole in the bottom. Using a small screw through the hole to attach it to the side of a cabinet hanging out of the way. I can then hang 2 groups of 3 belts each over the can, the remaining portion of the belts just hang there.

The inside of the can can store some scraps of sand paper, or what ever you might have that needs a place to stay.

That is the best I've come up with but I'll be watching to see if someone has a better idea.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I don't have an answer, but how does Shopsmith ship them? I would think that would be the optimal shape...

The last time I ordered belts from Shopsmith was in response to an email special and I ordered several. They came, I believe it was six of them, stuffed inside of one another. This is not the way I would suggest storing them.

I also would not suggest hanging them like I did; one each on a peg. They take on a shape that I believe adversely effects tracking.

Bottom line: I don't know.

If I had a half dozen old metal coffee cans. I might nail them in a row to a rafter and put one on each can.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

[quote="dusty"]

I also would not suggest hanging them like I did]

What dia. peg was that Dusty? I would think as long as the radius does not allow the belt to kink, it would be OK. I don't think I would use anything smaller than 1" dia.

The coffee can idea seems adequate.

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pieceseeker wrote:What dia. peg was that Dusty? I would think as long as the radius does not allow the belt to kink, it would be OK. I don't think I would use anything smaller than 1" dia.

The coffee can idea seems adequate.
It was small. I am not sure of the size. About 1", not larger.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Now moving on to the strip sander belts, . . .:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

See post 5. I use the same thing for the stip sander belts.

Ed

JPG40504 wrote:Now moving on to the strip sander belts, . . .:D