Dust Collection Video

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Dust Collection Video

Post by fjimp »

Nicks latest Video was announced last evening. Titled Dust Collection. It didn't play last night and isn't there this morning. Knowing Nick it will show up today. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

I received the email notice last night and watched the video just a few minutes ago without any problems.
Tom Woods
dusty
Platinum Member

Dust Collection Video

Post by dusty »

The video. entitled "Collectiong Dust Whle Drilling" is 4 minutes and 37 seconds of really good advise on how to keep the drilling table free of debris.

But what caught my attention in your post, jtomwoods, was that you received an email notice that it was being aired. This forum post is the only reason I know about its existence; I received no email on the subject.

Email and who does or does not receive it seems to be a problem that Shopsmith needs to resolve. Unless of course there is a selective mailing procedure that we don't know about and I seriously doubt that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Dusty,
I got the e-mail, and the video plays with no problems.
Dickg1
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"Email and who does or does not receive it seems to be a problem that Shopsmith needs to resolve."

As far as I know the Video Shop Tips are "global" emails that go out to our entire user list, although not always on the same day. Our ISP looks askance when we dump a hundred thousand missives on them all at once. As far as who receives our emails and who doesn't, in most cases there is little that we can do. A fair amount of ISPs block our emails as a customer service, having declared them to be spam. Not everyone is as receptive to our emails as we could wish and there have been complaints. If your Internet provider is one of those that blocks us, there's nothing we can do -- it's up to you.

With all good wishes,
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I use Comcast and they have a procedure for commercial vendors to certify that they do not send SPAM. What is required is you send a link to your privacy policy and answer two other simple questions. This is not something I can do for Shopsmith.

When you get a bounce message because they think you are sending SPAM, most ISPs include a link where you can ask them to reconsider. My wife runs a very small internet business and if she did not deal with this she would have no customers.

I assume all bounced messages go to a common mailbox, you need to filter those messages looking for SPAM rejects and have someone deal with them. There are at most 20 ISP's that cover a large percent of your customers and the procedure takes less than 5 minutes. It seems like a valuable use of 2 hours.

The other option is to post a message here with a copy of the email or post it on Shopsmith.com and make sure the page is RSS enabled. Then those of us that are interested will have multiple ways to hear about the sale. I am very disappointed I missed the sander sale since I was waiting for it.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"I am very disappointed I missed the sander sale..."

We understand the problems and procedures, Paul, and we work them just like your wife does. But these are ever-shifting sands. You may be interested to know that Comcast has been among the most problematic for us.

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

"If your Internet provider is one of those that blocks us, there's nothing we can do -- it's up to you."

My ISP is AOL. The Spam filter is set to Medium. I have the Spam filter set so that ALL messages identified as Spam are sent to a Spam Folder so that I can see what is being identified as Spam. I delete those that are Spam; the ISP does not.

I feel confident that the messages I suspect I am not receiving are not going the way of Spam.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I watched the video last night without problems. I use comcast and SS emails are getting through to me (ever since I called SS and asked them to reload my email address!).

:confused:

Paul
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Nick wrote:"I am very disappointed I missed the sander sale..."

We understand the problems and procedures, Paul, and we work them just like your wife does. But these are ever-shifting sands. You may be interested to know that Comcast has been among the most problematic for us.

With all good wishes,

Yes they try to filter out SPAM but unfortunately they filter out a lot of important mail. The good news is it is very easy to fix with Comcast the bad news is the person not getting mail can't do anything about it. As the sender you click on the link in the bounce mail and answer a few questions

1) Do you promise not to send SPAM
2) What is the IP address of your domain provider
3) ...

Within 24 hours the problem is resolved. As the "IT manager" for my wifes business I had to do it but it was in December so I don't the exact details.

We store a copy of all the mail forwarded from my wife's domain to Comcast and no mail has been bounced since getting the problem resolved.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC