Question on Lathe for Shopsmith Mark V

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Fred Grover
Gold Member

Question on Lathe for Shopsmith Mark V

Post by Fred Grover »

Well to update everyone I am starting to get my small shop in the garage arranged and have been learning more on the Shopsmith. So the question I have about this Lathe is I have seen a few people that use a Vacuum Chuck on their Lathe and was wondering if it is possible to make or get one for the Shopsmith Lathe? Has anyone used this Vacuum Chuck on their Lathe for the Shopsmith? Thanks and I look forward to your answers and help.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Having turned over 50 pens and letter openers and 90 bowls I have not found a need to use anything other than my Nova Chuck, 3" face plate and homemade Jam Chuck. Not sure what a vacuum chuck would buy me other than to clean up my tenon leftover.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

Most dedicated lathes have a hole through the drive shaft with a morse taper in it. The only vaccumn chucks I've seen use that hole to draw the vaccumn. I'm not saying there's not a setup out there that would work with the SS, but there are several that would not since the shaft is solid.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Fred Grover wrote:So the question I have about this Lathe is I have seen a few people that use a Vacuum Chuck on their Lathe and was wondering if it is possible to make or get one for the Shopsmith Lathe? Has anyone used this Vacuum Chuck on their Lathe for the Shopsmith? Thanks and I look forward to your answers and help.
I have no experience using a vacuum chuck but I did do some research on the subject. Yes it is possible to use a vacuum chuck on a ShopSmith with the appropriate adaptor. More information can be found in this thread from a few years back. Lathe spindle converter
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Fred Grover
Gold Member

Post by Fred Grover »

Thanks everyone and Ron I might have to check into this for the future. I was just looking at options for doing something like this and everyone has given some great input in this Shopsmith Users Family. I truly appreciate all of you and all of the great help and advice.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Fred Grover wrote:Well to update everyone I am starting to get my small shop in the garage arranged and have been learning more on the Shopsmith. So the question I have about this Lathe is I have seen a few people that use a Vacuum Chuck on their Lathe and was wondering if it is possible to make or get one for the Shopsmith Lathe? Has anyone used this Vacuum Chuck on their Lathe for the Shopsmith? Thanks and I look forward to your answers and help.
The traditional setup will not work, since most use a vacuum setup which goes through the drive shaft.

http://www.sierramold.com/Wvchuck.htm

That might be one option.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
Fred Grover
Gold Member

Post by Fred Grover »

damagi wrote:The traditional setup will not work, since most use a vacuum setup which goes through the drive shaft.

http://www.sierramold.com/Wvchuck.htm

That might be one option.
Not sure how or if that would work as the Shopsmith Mark V does not have a threaded insert it has the shaft with the one side that is flat. Am I missing something here? I am new to this type of Lathe.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Fred Grover wrote:Not sure how or if that would work as the Shopsmith Mark V does not have a threaded insert it has the shaft with the one side that is flat. Am I missing something here? I am new to this type of Lathe.

You would need one more 'adapter'. 1 - 8 to 5/8" round.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-L5818-Headstock-Shopsmith/dp/B000KIEC88
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Fred Grover
Gold Member

Post by Fred Grover »

So JPG that is the adapter I would need for using the Sierra Mold VacuuMaster Vaccum Chuck Assembly then and I would be good to go?

Also if I was to get that Adapter what are the other uses for it when using the lathe or other tools? Thanks for your input as it is always appreciated.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Fred Grover wrote:Also if I was to get that Adapter what are the other uses for it when using the lathe or other tools?

You could use that adapter on any chuck that has the 1-8tpi configuration.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob