Ring Master, the questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Ring Master, the questions

Post by reible »

Some years back I got a Ring Master, and while I did play with it I'm no ring master master. Since I have an idea project for using one coming up I figured it was time to revisit the subject and start collecting some upgrades etc.

Cutters. The unit came with a set of cutters, I'm guessing 70140. Since they were sharp I used them as is. Now one of the things I want to do is sharpen them. Looking at the manual I noticed no information on this subject, did I miss something?

In some other paper work I found an #LM sharpening kit from "the wooden post", checking online they don't have that listed anymore. It looks quite simple to make but without knowing the angles involved....

So the first question is, does anyone know the correct angle of the grind? And, or do you have one of these sharpening kits? And, or how do you sharpen them?

While still on the cutters, I see that now you can buy pro grade cutters, the ones like I have are hobbyist grade. The costs run from $39 for what I have and go to $52 and $54. I'm not sure how much life I have with the ones I have, assuming that they might be anywhere from almost new to worn to a stub.

I also notice that they didn't seem to provide much help on the subject of when blades are no longer usable. Next question would be how long are they when they are new? Anyone have a set to measure? Has anyone tried the more expensive ones?

PAG. I've heard about it but it is not clear how this works. It seems to be a rod running through a rectangle of steel more or less. Does anyone have a picture of how this goes on to the ring master. It would seem an easy thing to build for ones self or is there something unseen involved. I mean we are talking $49.95 for some reason.

Next I need to figure out where I put the machine. Moved so many things around in the shop that I now have several items hiding somewhere.

Ed
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

No clue about the important stuff you are asking, however regarding the lost pieces, look where you are certain they are NOT. They are always in the last place you would look, so look there first.

Sorry about the nonsense, too much snow and going back to sub zero temps, so the mind is fried!:eek:
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote: In some other paper work I found an #LM sharpening kit from "the wooden post", checking online they don't have that listed anymore. It looks quite simple to make but without knowing the angles involved....
Ed

PDF Instructions for Ring Master:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Can you post a pic of the cutters?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I find mine I can do that........

Ed

beeg wrote:Can you post a pic of the cutters?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rpd wrote:PDF Instructions for Ring Master:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Thanks!

I'm doing a sketchup drawing now, seems the angle is 8 degrees. When I locate mine I will check to see how they have been "filed".

The version they sold had two locations for holding the blades, maybe that is a good idea??

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ah the paradox of last place you look, and when it is also the first place. I fear a crack in the continuum of time if that happens.....

Yea its going below zero again tonight and we are hoping the snow track for the weekend goes way south of us.

Ed

benush26 wrote:No clue about the important stuff you are asking, however regarding the lost pieces, look where you are certain they are NOT. They are always in the last place you would look, so look there first.

Sorry about the nonsense, too much snow and going back to sub zero temps, so the mind is fried!:eek:
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Ed;
Recently at one of our woodturning club meetings a member made his own tools using some blank HSS cutters that were intended for metal working lathes. The components came from Harbor Freight Tools and were about $4.00 per set. Just thought that you may be able the 1/4" ones for the cutters. Part # is 40641.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Ah the paradox of last place you look, and when it is also the first place. I fear a crack in the continuum of time if that happens.....

Yea its going below zero again tonight and we are hoping the snow track for the weekend goes way south of us.

Ed
Not this far south I hope!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at them.

Ed

[quote="wa2crk"]Ed]