Is Shopsmith buried in snow?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Is Shopsmith buried in snow?

Post by cincinnati »

I live about an hour south of Shopsmith in Cincinnati. I have about 16" here at the house. For Cincinnati thats BIG!.
What is it like in other areas??
guvnuh4
Gold Member

Post by guvnuh4 »

About 3 weeks ago East Central Iowa got hit REALLY hard with 13" of that fun white stuff overnight, I actually got a snow day like the wife (kindergarten teacher)! This winter has been really rough on the snow days for her, as of right now she's missed 9 days and the good ol' farmer's almanac is saying that we should be getting snow until mid April :(. The snow and wind that we've had has actually "closed" many gravel roads in the area for fear that they will tear up the roads too much and they won't be able to afford repairing them after the snow removal costs...

You sir... can keep your snow, but can I share in any warm temps you might be forecasted!

I work for a Rural Electric Coop and we actually had problems with the county Sups because they were said that unless there is a serious emergency then they won't be able to plow the roads, and they weren't really defining "emergency" as an sort of power loss/issue. This crappy part for us is that those farmers blame us for not having power, but we can't get through the 4' (yeah... foot) snow drifts to get through to them without the maintainers going through first...

I'm TOTALLY ready for spring...
guvnuh4
Gold Member

Post by guvnuh4 »

About 3 weeks ago East Central Iowa got hit REALLY hard with 13" of that fun white stuff overnight, I actually got a snow day like the wife (kindergarten teacher)! This winter has been really rough on the snow days for her, as of right now she's missed 9 days and the good ol' farmer's almanac is saying that we should be getting snow until mid April :(. The snow and wind that we've had has actually "closed" many gravel roads in the area for fear that they will tear up the roads too much and they won't be able to afford repairing them after the snow removal costs...

I work for a Rural Electric Coop and we actually had problems with the county Sups because they were said that unless there is a serious emergency then they won't be able to plow the roads, and they weren't really defining "emergency" as an sort of power loss/issue. This crappy part for us is that those farmers blame us for not having power, but we can't get through the 4' (yeah... foot) snow drifts to get through to them without the maintainers going through first...

I'm TOTALLY ready for spring...
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Just blame global warming, or was that global cooling I get so confused:confused:
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

cincinnati wrote:I live about an hour south of Shopsmith in Cincinnati. I have about 16" here at the house. For Cincinnati thats BIG!.
What is it like in other areas??
This morning Nick left a message on the chat board for the Sawdust session that he had to wade through snow up to his hips in the SS parking lot.
BTW, I've got no snow here in Western WA.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

paulmcohen wrote:Just blame global warming, or was that global cooling I get so confused:confused:
Paul, you are showing your age. 35 years ago it was COOLING, at least according to National Geographic....then..
oh, and was about 72* here!
Tried to set up my beehive but it became to warm, so I went to turn over my compost!
Sorry about that.
Anniversary Model 505 to 520 Up grade, with Band saw, Jointer, Strip & Belt Sander, and a catalog of wishes.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

paulmcohen wrote:Just blame global warming, or was that global cooling I get so confused:confused:

It just goes to show the doomsayer's are wrong again. :)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Bruce wrote:It just goes to show the doomsayer's are wrong again. :)
Hey give them a break if it weren't for the doomsayer's Holywood wouldn't have a plot and the nighly news anything to report.

However I think there is a lesson to be learned here. If we allow ourselves, we tend to over think things. I know it is true in woodworking. I don't know how many times I have found myself over analyzing the setup on my Shopsmith and then I start fiddling here and there "fixing" what wasn't broken to begin with. Usually the results end with me being frustrated. However if I just go out and use it, the results are more than adequate for task at hand.
Ed