Mark VII as a router table

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

harveydunn wrote:I went yesterday. It was a complete waste of my time. The presenter was terrible, and had zero interest in answering the questions of someone who doesn't already own a ShopSmith.
Wow, I would have thought you are exactly the kind of customer he would want to talk to, someone who doesn't already have a ShopSmith.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This makes me wonder. Just how many different demonstrators are out there. I know of two neither of which fit this description. The two I know and have watched at work are both aggressive, responsive sales people.

There appears to be a third whose dedication to Shopsmith is questionable.:eek:

I've never had the opportunity to watch this gentleman at work. I don't even know that he is a sales person though he does appear to be giving a demo in this photo. The back ground looks as though it could be Lowe's.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Mr. Dunn,

This thread shows a photo of the double tilt SS router table setup.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... 158&page=2
jerm
Gold Member

Post by jerm »

Wow sorry to hear about that presenter - I'm also in the ABQ and I'll hopefully hit up Lowe's tomorrow, I just want to see the Mark 7 power pro. I can't buy anything though :(
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:This makes me wonder. Just how many different demonstrators are out there. I know of two neither of which fit this description. The two I know and have watched at work are both aggressive, responsive sales people.

There appears to be a third whose dedication to Shopsmith is questionable.:eek:

I've never had the opportunity to watch this gentleman at work. I don't even know that he is a sales person though he does appear to be giving a demo in this photo. The back ground looks as though it could be Lowe's.

That would be Dave Folkerith(Bob's brother).

His pix has appeared here recently courtesy of Fred.:D http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=3
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jerm wrote:Wow sorry to hear about that presenter - I'm also in the ABQ and I'll hopefully hit up Lowe's tomorrow, I just want to see the Mark 7 power pro. I can't buy anything though :(
Take a pix of the 'presenter' and let us see it.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Back to the original question. I have used the Mark 7 as an overhead router and think that it works very well. I actually like seeing the blade doing the cutting.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Overhead routing(or shaping) is also a Mark 5/V function, albeit at a lower speed. The Mark 7 adds under table routing/shaping.

Answering an earlier question, routing(as originally defined a few decades past) uses straight sided bits. Shaping used contoured sided cutters attached to an arbor.

Now days contoured router bits are common, so shaping can be done with routers. Shaft/collet diameters have increased as well to accommodate the larger cutters.

Then there are molders.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

I have tried that; but having to take the table off and flip it over is sort of a PITA.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="Jack Wilson"]I have tried that]

A PITA is preferable to impossible.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝