Bad Influences

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mtobey
Gold Member

Bad Influences

Post by mtobey »

Well, thanks to all of your wicked ways, I have today purchased my second Mark 5- little used- the seller kept the only SPT, jig saw, to sell separately- I already have one all shined and tuned. So, the big question is whether I cut it. "Fors and Againsts?"mt:D
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It will do no good to fight the force....... you will be buying many more shopsmith items in the future we the shopsmithstorieans have you in our power....

I vote to not cut.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Once you cut it, you lose a lot of the Shopsmith's capability. If you have the room, keep it all original.

I purchased the variable speed power station for my belt sander, scroll saw, and band saw. Small footprint, and it is easy to use.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

I thought about the Power Stations. But, sad(or glad-it is a perspective thing) I can buy a complete, standard Mark V for much less than the accessory. This one showed up on ebay in my hometown( our greater area, the Quad Cities and outlying is around 350K pop.). Everybody made chincy offers. I paid $350 and am "giddy with glee." Well, not quite but I could not resist the alliteration. The unit is quite newish condition. If I want to drive to Chicago(180 mi.) add in the gasoline but knock $50 off the price.

I guess I could get tubes and have both setups. I lean toward not harming the old fellow.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Well, all right mtobey,
If you have the room to keep two, don't cut it. Image If you don't have the room to keep two, don't cut it. Image If you are going to cut one, I imagine that you are either a pen turner who wants a permanent pen lathe, or you want a sanding station. either way, you don't need the 510 table system. If you want to cut one, go find an old 500. Image
What a gift an (almost) new 510 would make for a son, daughter or grandchild. Image If you are without deserving relatives, show it to your friends. I'll bet someone you know, a fellow magistrate, or attorney for instance, wood (misspelled purposely) jump at the chance to own a Mark V at a much lower then new price.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

It hasn't arrived yet, but I purchased a shorty chasis from a seller on EBay.
That being said, I don't think I could bring myself to chop a Mark V unless it had been damaged and I was able to buy it for a song.
I'm gonna add to the votes to keep it at original length.
Congratulations on picking up a second Mark V!:D
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Don't cut it.
BPR