Dating

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Dating

Post by reible »

When you make projects do you date them?

If so what sort of projects, and what sort of marking, and of course where???(hidden, brass or other engraved feature)

Now before some one comes up with the cute:
"My Wife doesn’t let me date." I've already seen that at the site I stole this question from.

I never I got in the habit of dating things but now in my older years I can see that a few things I've made would be nice to have a date on somewhere, like a walnut clock with music box that plays metal disks. It even has a spruce sound board... (and even more amazing I actually used plans AND followed them) any way my daughter wants that when I'm no longer using it. If I could trace some something on it to pin point a date it would be nice, right now the best I can do is a 6 year period.

Now I have a few wedding presents to make and thought maybe I should do something to date them, maybe even just to a year would be fine. Someone on the other site mentioned maybe a coin of the year???

Anyway I'd like to here some shopsmith site people address this.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I date everything. When you find something old the first thing you would like to know is it's age. It can only be a good thing to date. I even date everything I buy like tools.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Two years ago my son-in-law attended a bowl turning class taught by the well known segmented bowl turner and author Malcom Tibbets. In the class my son-in-law mentioned that he intended to get a stamp to identify his bowls. With this comment he was mildly rebuked by Tibbets, who said "artists SIGN their work!"
fjimp
Platinum Member

Artists Write Better

Post by fjimp »

My bride purchased me a signature iron complete with a date function. I love it. In our house we have a few family heirlooms. None are signed or dated. It seems to me that signing and dating is a gift to future generations.

I like to watch Antiques Road Show. I am unable to count all of the times lack of a signature or date lowers the value of a beaautiful item. I vote for signing and dating. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
cadman84
Gold Member

Post by cadman84 »

8iowa wrote:Two years ago my son-in-law attended a bowl turning class taught by the well known segmented bowl turner and author Malcom Tibbets. In the class my son-in-law mentioned that he intended to get a stamp to identify his bowls. With this comment he was mildly rebuked by Tibbets, who said "artists SIGN their work!"
Is this as literal as grab a pen and sign or am I missing something?

I absolutely agree sign and date. I also do a bit of amature photography and I find it nice that I can easily see when I took the photo.
Andy
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I am all for signing and dating. Last September I asked a blacksmith about making a brand for me. I was told that a small brand is harder for them to make then a large one. I forget the exact price quoted, but it was somewhere in the $100 area. I like the idea of branding my signature in my work, but I haven't ordered one yet...........

P.S. Ed, my wife still lets me date.............as long as it's with her!Image
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

a1gutterman wrote:I am all for signing and dating. Last September I asked a blacksmith about making a brand for me. I was told that a small brand is harder for them to make then a large one. I forget the exact price quoted, but it was somewhere in the $100 area. I like the idea of branding my signature in my work, but I haven't ordered one yet...........

P.S. Ed, my wife still lets me date.............as long as it's with her!
Rockler sells a custom branding iron with a date option.

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=branding
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Those are great Paul. Thanks for the link. They are spendy though. Image
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

a1gutterman wrote:Those are great Paul. Thanks for the link. They are spendy though. Image

Another much cheaper and more personal alternative

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=wood+burning
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

How about printing an iron-on t-shirt transfer and using it to put whatever you want on your project? I know it wouldn't be burned in but you could always use it as a template to burn it in by hand or just apply a finish over it. It may not hold up over the years, though.