Johnson's Paste Wax vs Miniwax

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

JPG40504 wrote:That make 'Trewax' an RC?:D

Maybe!

I have not tried either Johnson's or Minwax. I still haven't used up all of my can of Trewax I bought over 25 years ago. Until that one is empty, I won't have the opportunity to try anything else.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

garys wrote:Maybe!

I have not tried either Johnson's or Minwax. I still haven't used up all of my can of Trewax I bought over 25 years ago. Until that one is empty, I won't have the opportunity to try anything else.
Beat your record by 40+ years with Johnson's. Bought the first can in 1956 and used the last drop in 2010. Bought two more cans at $1 each at a closeout (because no one would ever buy this stuff) in 1998. Newer is not always better. Unless your wife is looking for a replacement. If you're looking for a replacement (spouse or wax) don't. Newer is more expensive, performs less, requires more maintenance and contributes to the early demise and longevity of the equipment. If it works, keep it.
forrestb
Platinum Member

no silicone in Minwax Paste Finishing Wax

Post by forrestb »

Since no one could find the actual contents, I emailed Minwax and asked if it contained any silicone. They responded (the next day, no less):

"Dear Forrest,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Minwax. We appreciate your
interest in our products.

Our products do not contain any silicone. The Paste Wax is a blend of
natural waxes.

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond back if you require
additional assistance.

Regards,

Craig
Minwax Product Support"

So let the cost battle begin!

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

My experience with TreWax. Back in the mid 60's a buddy and I would get together just about every weekend to wax our cars. we were always looking for a great wax that would outlast the others we had tried. One weekend he showed up with TreWax fo we gave it a really good try. Waxed both cars with it and we were amazed at the shine that was achieved. His car was Black and mine was Red. Talk about shine, our wives were totally impressed.
Both cars looked good untilabout day 2 or 3, then they both developed a white haze over them. Never seen a wax so hard to remove, we must have worked for several days on both vehicles to get it all off. Of coarse then we had to rewax them with something we knew would work. This was my last experience with TreWax. It made cars shine for couple days but then the real work began. Good thing we both enjoyed waxing our cars. If I were to digging out in my shop I could probable still find that can we bought back then.
I keep finding little windows on this forum, that I don't really know what they do. So sometimes I experiment. Probably shouldn't do that, I know in my shop it can get me into trouble.
Bayside Bob
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I have the minwax, Original JPW was not available when I searched for wax some years back. Now it seems the reverse is the case. Original JPW available Minwax not.

Who knows what will be available when the Minwax runs out?? I still have half a can so no need to run out and buy another can.

Wax as I know it and Understand it. For the most part there are three basic waxes. Softest to hardest:
Beeswax - very soft easy to work with but does not last very long.

Paraffin/candle waxes - Petroleum based products harder than bees wax does not finish as well but lasts longer. Good choice for tool protection, also commonly used for sealing wood as it is the least expensive of the three.

Carnuba Wax - This is the hardest of the three and leaves a great finish that will last the longest. The problem is that it is difficult to work with.

Most of the commercial Waxes are a blend of these three waxes and other colorants, emulsifiers/solvents and such. I have seen recipes for Carnuba, beeswax and mineral spirits as a softening agent.

For the most part, wax is wax. Except ear wax which is not actually wax at all.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

When I got the help kit and video from SS a year or so ago I thought it said that JPW had been grandfathered-in so they didn't have to include ingredients that cause it to be a non-skid wax. If memory servers me, the EPA (or other long arms of our nanny state gov) made paste wax manufacturers make their floor waxes slip-proof. JPW was the only one that did not have to change their formula by adding a grit factor to the wax, something that isn't good for your machine.

I will check the video, but if I am wrong on this please correct me.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
Legopolis
Bronze Member

Re: Johnson's Paste Wax vs Miniwax

Post by Legopolis »

I see this forum posting is from 2014, so it's a little dated. I discovered this posting while searching for a wax for a Shopsmith Mark V 500 that I am restoring [S/N 102878]. I read that SC Johnson Paste Wax was the bomb for protecting a Shopsmith from corrosion and providing a smooth slick surface. However when I found a 16 oz. can on Amazon for $99.99 I knew there was something wrong.

Turns out, SC Johnson Paste Wax (JPW) was discontinued at the end of 2021, so I guess the question is moot and the high price on Amazon explained (i.e. last few cans of a dwindling inventory).

I did a little research to find out why JPW was discontinued. One of the ingredients of JPW was 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene, a petroleum distillate, an organic compound, and classified as an aromatic hydrocarbon; as such it is a suspected carcinogen which is why I suspect SC Johnson discontinued this particular product. It sounds like in 2014 Shopsmith saw the writing on the wall and steered away from JPW towards promoting Minwax Paste Wax, although as of this writing I still find 1 reference on Shopsmith's website to JPW.

So, I guess Minwax Paste Wax it is!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Very little difference. Another alternative is Trewax. Different odor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Not sure that SS "saw the writing on the wall". It has been a long time since SS put JPW in the help kit. When I bought my 510 new in 1994 the help kit came from SS with Trewax in it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT