Johnson's Paste Wax vs Miniwax

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Johnson's Paste Wax vs Miniwax

Post by dusty »

I just noticed the most recent email special from Shopsmith. The special is for a Shopsmith Help Kit that contains amongst other items a can of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.

I would normally accept this as an endorsement by Shopsmith but being a long time user of the Original Johnson's Paste Wax, I'll not be changing.

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Minwax and what their opinions are.

This is still my tried and proven choice.

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Me too.
I even had to import some from the US last year through one friend that goes south every winter .... So I ask him to bring me two tubs and I am glad I did.
I have cleaned up my Mark V table and extensions and then treated it to wax and it look brand new and I like the smell of it too.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Just did a cursory price check with JPW being a tad less expensive. With the prices so close, maybe Shopsmith got a better offer?

Be well,
Ben
forrestb
Platinum Member

any silicone?

Post by forrestb »

I can't find a list of the ingredients anywhere.

Does anyone know if it contains silicone? I find it hard to believe that SS would pas out any wax with silicone.:eek:
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I tried the Minwax when I couldn't get Johnson's in our area. Good enough but went back to the "tried and true" as soon as I picked up a can on my travels to Plattsburgh, N.Y.

John
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

forrestb wrote:I can't find a list of the ingredients anywhere.

Does anyone know if it contains silicone? I find it hard to believe that SS would pas out any wax with silicone.:eek:
I'm thinking that it said somewhare on the site does not contain silicone..
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPW is $6 a can at Lowe's here in Tucson with no additional shipping charges (less a 10% military discount of I remember).

As for the contents, check here.

Notice that the link provides another link to the MSDS.

I expected to be able to provide the same information for Minwax but it does not seem to be so readily available. They post the MSDS online but it is 158 pages of legal ease.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

I have used Minwax Paste wax for the past 5 years. No evidence of silicone as Ihave no problems with stains or glues. It is a durable product, it does a great job. Better or worse than Johnson's - I don't know. I know that if I use the machine pretty hard one summer, I need to apply wax twice to the way tubes and table tops. It's easy to clean off with mineral spirits. It works very well on wood products and I have finished several items with just wax. ;)
Just waxed my tubes, tables and will do the remainder of the system this weekend. I wax drill bits and saw blades. It's amazing how well they work with a light coat of wax.
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

I bought one of those Help Kits a few years back and it came with the MinWax - it's worked fine for me with no complaints…unless someone can show a meaningful composition difference between the two, I'm guessing it's a Coke vs Pepsi debate.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgale wrote:I bought one of those Help Kits a few years back and it came with the MinWax - it's worked fine for me with no complaints…unless someone can show a meaningful composition difference between the two, I'm guessing it's a Coke vs Pepsi debate.
That make 'Trewax' an RC?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange