Why I hate software updates

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Why I hate software updates

Post by db5 »

Those who develop the software believe that they know what is best for us. That's okay; provided they don't require that I use the update. Microsoft is exceptionally adept at making sure that my computer is secure and I trust MS.

Today, after several months of wanting me to update Firefox, they took it upon themselves to do so. Protecting me from risks that I understood and had protections in place. This wiped out an entire database of sites I had saved and I can't get it back. I'm one savvy computer user (since 1981) and know how to do some things. System Restore doesn't do it and Firefox doesn't offer anything to get me back to where I was.

I dumped IE years ago because of their poor security but believe they are now ahead of the curve - not behind. Hate to move there but . . .

If anyone knows how to get the "Favorites" I had on Firefox before this forced update, please PM me.: mad:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Have you tried clicking on the orange "firefox" tab?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Backup always backup any thing that is important to you.

I have been using the Firefox sync for sometime now to for my bookmarks I have restored them twice now from the sync server. It also allows me to have the same bookmarks on multiple computers. My phone, two computers at home and two at work all have the same bookmarks. If I add one it shows up on all of them. Quite handy.

You could also use Xmarks
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If some one is to get the "blame", let's make certain we blame the right software developer. Microsoft or Mozilla Firefox

BTW Neither does software updates unless you have given permission for them to do so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Agree. Turn automatic updates off. I find that an update is usually a downgrade in functionality.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I assume you've clicked the orange Firefox button in the top left corner and clicked on Bookmarks, right?

Outside that, I'm going to be guilty of what I hate other people doing to me and offer a suggestion outside the parameters of the question...

I don't know how to recover your lost bookmarks. And, I don't use the same browser across every platform so the sync option isn't good for me (I prefer Firefox on the PC, Dolphin on my phone, and Chrome on my tablet). I use a Firefox plugin called Speed Dial. My home page is a grid of 16 (customizable to more or less) blocks that are my most used bookmarks with a picture of the page that I'm bookmarking. You can have multiple "groups" that you can tab between. So on my work PC, my first group is work related bookmarks (web interfaces for various software tools, etc), and the second group is personal bookmarks (like this site). At home, I have it reversed. The primary group is personal, but the second group is work related sites I might need to access while at home. I first saw this feature in Chrome and really liked it, but otherwise didn't care for Chrome. So I found this plugin for Firefox.

I've never thought about it before, but I guess one benefit is that the bookmarks are kept by the Speed Dial plugin rather than Firefox itself. I have even exported my Speed Dial configuration from one computer and imported to another computer.

I've never had a Firefox update completely wipe out bookmarks. Even the couple that I don't keep in Speed Dial.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

JPG40504 wrote:Have you tried clicking on the orange "firefox" tab?
Tried that. RESTORE is not an available option.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm on auto updates beta program for firefox, I get updates happening all the time. So far nothing bad has happened after all these years, so I guess you got lucky. BTW I have an update waiting for me right now.......

First place I would go is google, stick together key words and see what you can find there on your issue.

My last problem was with the address book on my wife's laptop. No addresses nor could any be added. One of the files involved was corrupted and it was as simple as changing the name to a .old and letting the system rebuild the file, followed by rebuilding the list. This happen to correspond with a disk error that came up at the same time.

Who is at fault? I don't really care as it was reasonably easy to fix and I'm not going to change operating systems or my email program cause it just as well could have been a disk issue.

Anyway I found my answer using google.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

db5 wrote:Tried that. RESTORE is not an available option.
RESTORE is not an option because ....? Let me guess. No RESTORE point.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

dusty wrote:RESTORE is not an option because ....? Let me guess. No RESTORE point.
Not quite. In Firefox, clicking on the top left FF logo gives these options: Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize, Close. Restore is not an option as it is in light print. The Restore function in Windows7 wouldn't bring back the older FF.