The Plane Truth

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

The Plane Truth

Post by tomsalwasser »

Happy Easter to my fellow sawdust makers!

My latest misadventures turn out ok in the end.

http://laterthanuthink.blogspot.com/201 ... plane.html
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

These are great adventures to have, in my opinion!

I'm just now remembering when the Blues Brothers said something about trading a Cadillac for a microphone. Along those lines, I just got my first Lie-Nielsen plane (used) yesterday. Pretty nice! I'll depict that sometime soon in a posting.
Chris
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Yessir Chris. Old No. 7 is broken down and soaking in evaporust. Looking forward to seeing your recent acquisition.
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

Wow. I think I have one of those. It is a Stanley, very long, and I got it at a used tool place in 1979. It has the top of the rear handle broken off, but it works fine. I will see what I can find in the way of markings. Yours looks a bit cleaner than mine. Good find!
tomsalwasser wrote:Happy Easter to my fellow sawdust makers!

My latest misadventures turn out ok in the end.

http://laterthanuthink.blogspot.com/201 ... plane.html
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Hey teacherman, be sure to date your plane using the reference chart linked in the blog entry. Let's see what you got!
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

tomsalwasser wrote:Hey teacherman, be sure to date your plane using the reference chart linked in the blog entry. Let's see what you got!
It looks like it is a Type 5, from 1885-88. I had no idea it was so old. One thing to note is that the depth adjuster deepens the cut by rotating counterclockwise, so it is the reverse of more modern ones.

Thanks for posting the flowchart! The cast number 8 and the patent numbers on the lateral lever were the key to identifying this one.
Attachments
photo-5.JPG
photo-5.JPG (137.33 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Wow that's amazing. Makes you think that maybe it's a special honor to use a tool that old.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Please do not drop it!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

tomsalwasser wrote:Wow that's amazing. Makes you think that maybe it's a special honor to use a tool that old.
I'm sure glad I didn't sell it at my last yard sale. I have used it a few times. The old guy who sold it to me said it was used for planing barrel staves so they would fit together tightly, that's why it has such a long foot on it. It measures 23 5/8" from end to end.

And no, I don't plan to drop it, esp. on my foot!
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Horse Trading (or Cadillac traded on a Microphone)

Post by nuhobby »

Here was my recent change....

Some time back I did a JB-Weld & Strip sander metal repair (barely visible at the right side of the photo) on this semi-rare Fulton plane (No. 2 size), adding custom wood totes. After some time I sold it:

[ATTACH]24825[/ATTACH]

Now lately I finally decided to get a Lie Nielsen No. 2. I just got a used one, actually beat-up a little bit, so I wouldn't be worried about using it. Wow, it's a nice plane! It's the bronze type and in this picture it actually weighs a little more than the 14-inch Craftsman behind it...

[ATTACH]24826[/ATTACH]

Any other "big fish" stories out there?
Attachments
Fulton Plane Repaired.jpg
Fulton Plane Repaired.jpg (101.57 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
LN No 2.jpg
LN No 2.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Chris