UM......Nick.........Did I see that????

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

crousetrodomis
Gold Member

UM......Nick.........Did I see that????

Post by crousetrodomis »

Okay, I'm a pretty busy person. New kid, no sleep at home, work as a 911 Paramedic, no sleep at work (24 hour shifts) but play on the internet when I can. Yesterday for the first time I hopped onto youtube and found some of your videos from the ShopSmith academy (neat media, good job reaching out to our kind of public). On a couple of the videos I noticed that when you went to cut something, example the dado video, you made your cut and immediately shut off your machine.......normal practice except for a shopsmith; I thought we were supposed to slow the speed down to "slow/A" first. Then I noticed that you also then turned the SS on with the speed already set to make your second pass. Am I supposed to turn mine down before shutting off and on or were my eyes just messing with me for lack of sleep?? (or can I get a special part that makes it cool practice????) Please guide me on this one!!!!!!

Thanks,
Larry

(i'll take answers from anyone.......just thought I would go to the source first)
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Hi Larry.. I'm a newbie too but I believe you're correct that most will suggest slowing it down before poweroff.. However, after reading a bit I believe the philosophy is that this is done specifically when you're changing from one tool to another to ensure the speed is not too high for that specific SPT (special purpose tool).... To that end, perhaps if you're only using the table saw (for example) and will continue to use it for more cuts then maybe it's ok to not do the dial-down and then dial-up sequence.. I'm sure someone else will chime in..
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Hi Larry,

We had a debate about this a couple of months ago, but I have searched and have been unable to find those posts. Perhaps someone else will find it and will post a link to that discussion in here.

The bottom line as I remember it as that it is OK to do as Nick did in the video. I got the impression that as long as that type of start did not throw your circuit breakers, all would be ok.

That said. I still turn the dial down unless there is a situation where it seems easier to leave the speed turned up for the next operation. I guess some habits are tough to break.

Paul
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

If I disremember correctly, the upshot of that thread was that you don't need to turn the speed down if you have the Shopsmith plugged in to a 20-amp circuit, as we recommend. However, if you insist on doing it anyway, it may extend the useful life of your motor from 25-to-30 years to 26-to-31 years. Of course, none of this will matter one iota when we perfect our new fusion-powered Mark V.

With all good wishes,
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

If you turn the speed down after each operation, you want to make sure that your speed control worm gear and pork chop teeth are well lubricated. I learned this from experience. The dial turning plus dry teeth will yield a worn out pork chop. I now make sure the speed control is at slow - only before beginning a new operation.

Not an expensive part to replace, and the experience is good in order to better understand the speed control - but why? You can avoid it!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I guess this goes along with when he waxes the table, He wipes it on, then buffs it off. All within a minute. Here I've been wipeing the wax on, just before going upstairs for the night, the next day I buff it off.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I have a 54 model that has been in my family since '57 and well used. We've never cut down the speed between operations, but we've always had it on a 20 amp circuit. I am careful when changing functions, like powering the belt sander, to reduce the speed before the changeover.

The machine still has the original speed control porkchop. I replaced the motor last year with the 1 1/8 hp motor, not because it was worn out, but because it was only 3/4 hp. (I had waited for 10 years hoping the old 3/4 hp would wear out so I could justify replacing it, but it just wouldn't.)

I laugh when I hear shopsmith instructors say that with proper maintenance, your shopsmith should last 25 years.
Doug
Greenville, SC
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Greenvilleguy wrote:I laugh when I hear Shopsmith instructors say that with proper maintenance, your Shopsmith should last 25 years.

Mine is celebrating its 26th birthday and it would be hard to tell it apart from a new one except for my new red casters. They are the first part to wear our.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

After 50 years, mine still has the original casters. I should add that it's always had a permenant spot and only moved when in the drill press position or for cleaning, i.e. the casters are rarely down.
Doug
Greenville, SC
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

paulmcohen wrote:Mine is celebrating its 26th birthday and it would be hard to tell it apart from a new one except for my new red casters. They are the first part to wear our.
Hi Paul,
Is the surface that you are rolling your SS on smooth? Or do you roll it on rough surfaces a lot? Granted, my SS does not move around a lot, but the casters on my 1995 model look next to new.Image I have never rolled it on anything except smooth concrete.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.