Spray Finishing System

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Spray Finishing System

Post by berry »

I'm building a bathroom vanity. Yesterday I brushed on a coat of General Finishes polyacrylic. Whenever I brush on a finish like this, regardless of how careful I am, I seem to get some runs.

When this happens invariably I start thinking about spraying on finishes. Can anyone recommend a spraying system they really like or conversely, is anyone using a system they'd recommend I stay clear of?

Thanks for reading.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

I have used Gf oil based polys and was not happy with them, running was on of the issues, and qt cans drying up half way through and sealed up tight. I went back to Minwax poly, I have had cans for years and no problems. As far as spray systems, I keep thinking of one too, but decided they are not good for all applications, and if you over spray the product will get runs too. So with the cost, not a cure all, I have gone to Minwax wiping Poly, and to get the same thickness of finish compared to brushing, it takes 1 more coat usually, (4). For a complete grain/pore fill finish, which I dont always do, depending on the wood and look I want.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

I recently completed a bedroom suite of furniture and I applied GF High Performance Poly (water based) using an Earlex HVLP sprayer. It came out better than I ever could have achieved with a brush. Had it been a single piece of furniture I would have used a wipe-on top coat as rbursek recommended. But now that I have the sprayer, I will likely use it for any project of any significant size. The Earlex runs around $300 so it's an investment but for me, it was worth every penny as finishing is my second least favorite thing to do.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

I have the Fuji mini mite 3, the best sprayer I have ever purchased. We'll worth the money, you can get an extremely even, smooth finish with minimal effort.
John
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Hi berry,

I've been using a Grayco Truecoat handheld sprayer for painted pieces with latex paint only. I really like it because it's fast and easy to clean, does a really nice job. It's my go-to, stress free no brainer solution for beautiful painted pieces.

I still dread and fear any other kind of finishing. I wish it were not so. I hope to hear more from you if you find a spray system you like.

Lately I've become a big fan of Christopher Schwarz. I've been reading his stuff and watching his videos and I really respect his opinion. I think he likes the Earlex sprayers. In this video he's spraying milk paint but I think he likes it for other finishes too. Worth looking into.

Good luck, please keep us posted.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

tomsalwasser wrote: I still dread and fear any other kind of finishing. I wish it were not so. I hope to hear more from you if you find a spray system you like.
Ive' had excellent results with this system. Inexpensive too! Have only used it to spray water based paint. http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=hvlp ... y%20system Used it to paint the wood shutters I made.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

I have the Earlex 5000 which I really like. I think it was replaced with the 5500. I also have a couple a inexpensive HVLP guns that I connect to my compressor, they came from Woodcraft and were in the $ 35.00 to $ 50.00 range. They are gravity feed types.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

I have a cheapo Harbor freight HVLP gun I bought to spray two part auto clear with metal flake about $20 I thought I would toss it out after the
project but I was able to keep it cleaned out much easier than I antisapated. I have been happy with it. I cleaned it well after each use and
it's as good as new. I have since sprayed Createx (water based) paint and clear coat with good results. I have never used top of the line gun to
compare it to. I have used several high end airbrushes they are harder to clean mostly due to their smaller size I think.
I never have used it for finishing any wood but I will do some testing with it before I ever attempte it as I would not want to make my learning
mistakes on something I had a lot of time and expense invested into.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
Kelvinstanford
Bronze Member

Re: Spray Finishing System

Post by Kelvinstanford »

berry wrote: Thu May 01, 2014 8:22 am I'm building a bathroom vanity. Yesterday I brushed on a coat of General Finishes polyacrylic. Whenever I brush on a finish like this, regardless of how careful I am, I seem to get some runs.

When this happens invariably I start thinking about spraying on finishes. Can anyone recommend a spraying system they really like or conversely, is anyone using a system they'd recommend I stay clear of?

Thanks for reading.
I have read alot of review blog regarding spray finishes wood[/https://holapaints.com/can-you-spray-paint-wood/] and furniture,
so as per my knowledge Wagner 0518080 ,
Earlex H5500 and Graco X5 paint sprayers are best for spray finishing projects.
you can check the source as well.
Last edited by Kelvinstanford on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Spray Finishing System

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Have you tried the wipe on poly ? you shouldn't get too many runs , My dad uses it a lot with good results ,satin or high gloss , I use to spray on shellack through a gravity gun and light pressure , did the entire kitchen set a few years back , just thin it down , it usually took three or four coats .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)