Pictures (a request)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Pictures (a request)

Post by paulmcohen »

Please when you post a photo post it vertical, having to turn my computer 90 degrees to see pictures is a pain. Also don't post links to pictures on the forum just insert the picture it makes reading much quicker and takes the same amout of time and space.

If you don't know how to do either thing just keep reading.

Instructions for posting pictures is on the top of this catagory in the forum. To rotate a picture you can either use an application most likely that came with your PC or camera, download GIMP for free or on most operating systems right-click on the picture and select rotate.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Pictures

Post by dusty »

Paul;

Is it really that simple?

If I have a picture that is 800x600, I can post it on the forum. If the camera was held sideways to get that picture and I rotate the picture as you request, won't the picture now be 600x800? If it is the forum will reject it as oversize.

Yes, I could resize it to 400x600 and it will post.

Am I missing something? Admittedly, I'm not very good at this. I just recently learned how to post pictures without spending an hour trying and retrying.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The problem is we each have things we like one way or the other... for me I like to see them as attachments. Or maybe a mix, the first one as an insert the rest as attachments. And no I don't always do it that way.

The thing Dusty mentioned is a flaw in the package and has been and I have complained on other boards about it.... but for reasons beyond me it has been left this way. 600x800 or 800x600 as long as it is below the 1.91 MB limit should work, period.

I do however like to see the images right side up... to bad they don't have a tool in the software for rotate....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

reible wrote: I do however like to see the images right side up... to bad they don't have a tool in the software for rotate....
I used to use a site called "pbase.com" which is a popular photo sharing site (most people on there are photographers).. Anyway, one of the nice features of that site is when you upload your photos (in a tar/zip file even), it will automatically rotate them for you.. I have no idea how it knows which side is up but it does it correctly every time and it's really slick.. It's the only site I've seen that done on.. I guess there must be something buried in the EXIF info in the picture to figure that out..
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

[quote="dusty"]Paul]

I guess it depends on the software used to rotate it, I think the MAC can do an automatic "convert for the Web" which will reduce the size and resolution. Since most cameras today take well beyond 800x600 it never occurred to me.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:Hi,

The problem is we each have things we like one way or the other... for me I like to see them as attachments. Or maybe a mix, the first one as an insert the rest as attachments. And no I don't always do it that way.

The thing Dusty mentioned is a flaw in the package and has been and I have complained on other boards about it.... but for reasons beyond me it has been left this way. 600x800 or 800x600 as long as it is below the 1.91 MB limit should work, period.

I do however like to see the images right side up... to bad they don't have a tool in the software for rotate....

Ed
Now see I really hate attachments because it seems that after time they usually get lost. I can't tell you how many times I have clicked on attachments in other forums only to be told the picture is no longer available or has been removed.
I like the picture in the post that way the picture is usually available if the post is.
Also when people use attachments they often have the picture in a photo album and then you have to sort through a bunch of junk and try to figure out which of these "wonderful" pictures is the one you wanted to see. If the album is of numerous pictures then you have to keep flipping back and forth between the actual post and the album to figure what it is you looking at.

But my biggest complaint is the over use of pictures. Some of the pictures are so dark, or shot in such a way I have no clue what they are. The old adage a picture is worth a thousand words, only holds true if the picture is showing what it is your trying to say. On second thought maybe the adage does always hold true, when I see some of these useless, dark or out of focus pictures I should know in a thousands words or less the author is a nut. :rolleyes:
Ed
guvnuh4
Gold Member

Post by guvnuh4 »

When you embed images in your posts, you also have to think about those members that use dialup. If your image is roughly 1 MB, and it is in your post, then it could take a few minutes for pages to actually load. This isn't an overwhelming problem since most people have some form of high speed, but I also know that there are many out there that either don't get it because they can't justify it or they live out in the sticks so far that they can't even get it (again this becomes a cost problem as they could get satellite internet, but it's pretty pricey as well for what you get).

So there are pros and cons to both situations.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Now see I really hate attachments because it seems that after time they usually get lost. I can't tell you how many times I have clicked on attachments in other forums only to be told the picture is no longer available or has been removed.

Again it is a matter of we have learned over time. I have been at 3 sites that upgraded software and lost ALL pictures. This is also true of posts and pictures between backups, one site had that happen so many times I ended up saving my posts local just in case it happen again... I finally gave up and stopped using the site.

So far I have had a problem with the site I used for posting pictures decided to move to another site and mess things up... the links became broken and with that happening I was to lazy to find and repair all my links, mostly because of the numbers and the number of sites they were on.

One thing I didn't mention is that by using a picture site like I do the images are copyrighted and do not become the property of the site they are posted on.

I like the picture in the post that way the picture is usually available if the post is.
Also when people use attachments they often have the picture in a photo album and then you have to sort through a bunch of junk and try to figure out which of these "wonderful" pictures is the one you wanted to see. If the album is of numerous pictures then you have to keep flipping back and forth between the actual post and the album to figure what it is you looking at.

So far as I know this is not common here (post the reference large albums), except I will sometime reference my photos as general information after I list the album that has the reference information. If you need to search and you find that hard to do then please ask for more details. I try to keep my albums small so you don't need to search to deep...

The way that works best for me is to open tabs and view pictures in the one tab while keeping the reading in another tab. It is not uncommon for me to have a dozen or more tabs open. If you haven't tried them give that a try you may find it helps.

But my biggest complaint is the over use of pictures. Some of the pictures are so dark, or shot in such a way I have no clue what they are. The old adage a picture is worth a thousand words, only holds true if the picture is showing what it is your trying to say. On second thought maybe the adage does always hold true, when I see some of these useless, dark or out of focus pictures I should know in a thousands words or less the author is a nut. :rolleyes:

This actually show part of the reason I like to see attachments. Once I've seen the pictures I don't have to look at them again the next time I visit the thread.

I will also say that most pictures here are well done and to the point. A few lack detail but that seems to be very limited. All in all we are woodworkers and not photographer, and not computer geeks.

Ed
So now we know the rest of the story???

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

osx-addict wrote:I used to use a site called "pbase.com" which is a popular photo sharing site (most people on there are photographers).. Anyway, one of the nice features of that site is when you upload your photos (in a tar/zip file even), it will automatically rotate them for you.. I have no idea how it knows which side is up but it does it correctly every time and it's really slick.. It's the only site I've seen that done on.. I guess there must be something buried in the EXIF info in the picture to figure that out..
Hi,

Yes the information is hidden away but not all camera generate that information. None of the camera's I own do.... but I wish they did. When I go camera shopping again that will be something I look for.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa,

Gee fella, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rattle your cage like that. It is just that not all of us are photographers and woodworkers. I am neither. I just happen to own a camera which I hope to learn to use and I have a garage full of woodworking equipment. That garage has been full for nearly twenty years but that doesn't mean I have been a woodworker for that long. Just a Shopsmith owner without a digital camera.

By the way - I don't post those dark pictures anymore. I learned how to delete them before they get into my post.

Do you know that sometimes you can't delete a post. I experiment now and then posting and occasionally, once it is there, you can't delete it. Moral - don't post it if you don't want it to be seen.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.