Pro Planer Purchase/Got Lucky

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Pro Planer Purchase/Got Lucky

Post by randythewoodchuck »

Saw a Pro Planer and Mark V for sale in a nearby community on Craig's List. Made a $250 offer on the Pro Planer, which was accepted. Checked to make sure it was running when I purchased and paid the cash. Figured if any parts needed replacement that it would be OK. After bringing it home I checked on parts costs. I was shocked (I REALLY mean shocked) to see the replacement costs for the feed motor and the speed control box. Each hovers around $400, plus or minus. I think I got lucky, as everything seems to be working, though it is in definite need of maintenance.

So, I place this post for any neophytes (like me) that are thinking of purchasing Shopsmith tools used. Check parts costs before purchasing if you are not absolutely sure the tool is in good running condition. Otherwise you may end up selling your "new" tool for parts.
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

I lucked out on a planer included in my used as but ts missing the height adjustment handle. Bill Mayo sold me one for a good price and mentioned he has a few planers worth of parts for sale, so there is hope yet. You do have a good point though, I would hate to find I needed to buy a new part at those prices.

Let me know how you like it. In too intimidated to run mine, being a hand plane guy. I can't decide if I should seek it to pay for other stuff I want our give in and fully embrace the power tool world.
Greenie (no serial #), 82 Mark V 500 serial #128648, ci bandsaw, old jigsaw, planer. All one buy in March 2014. Magna Jointer added Nov. '14. Speed reducer, conical disk and two bearing quill upgrade.
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Planer Table maintenance

I am attempting to clean up this planer I purchased. It seems to be in good working order, but is a bit dirty. I saw one tip in a different thread, suggesting that using some foam to fill up the nooks-and-crannies would help with maintenance. Has anyone actually done this?

Now, on to my actual question. The table is a bit dirty, with some stickiness from previous use. What is best to use to clean up the table? (If this is a dumb question, forgive me. Very inexperienced.)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

randythewoodchuck wrote:I am attempting to clean up this planer I purchased. It seems to be in good working order, but is a bit dirty. I saw one tip in a different thread, suggesting that using some foam to fill up the nooks-and-crannies would help with maintenance. Has anyone actually done this?

Now, on to my actual question. The table is a bit dirty, with some stickiness from previous use. What is best to use to clean up the table? (If this is a dumb question, forgive me. Very inexperienced.)
I clean all of my tables (jointer, proplaner, mark Vs, scroll saw, band saw) with mineral spirits. Remember that after cleaning this way you then need to wax. The mineral spirits remove the wax.

After cleaning and before waxing, wipe clean with a clean soft cloth.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Thank you, Dusty. Sounds easy enough.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

randythewoodchuck wrote:I am attempting to clean up this planer I purchased. It seems to be in good working order, but is a bit dirty. I saw one tip in a different thread, suggesting that using some foam to fill up the nooks-and-crannies would help with maintenance. Has anyone actually done this?

Do you have the older cast iron table, or the newer aluminum one?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Back in 2008 we made an effort to fix one of those speed controls that had gone bad. We didn't have an EE on staff at the time so we had to make do with what we had and we got the job done. If I remember right it took only about $10 for parts........

Long thread but it was a fun project and shows how thing were here back then. If you have the time read it all.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2484

Ed
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Cast Iron/Aluminum table

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Do you have the older cast iron table, or the newer aluminum one?
Mine is aluminum.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So yours is a SS mount?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
delong94
Gold Member

Planer Parts

Post by delong94 »

I'm looking at a mounted planer on CL, but it's missing some parts to in clude the rotating handle on top to set the depth and I think it's missing the mounting brackets. Does anyone on the forum have any parts available? Thanks,
V.