Best Woodworking Show

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Best Woodworking Show

Post by ryanbp01 »

Finally, after having a whole weekend to catch up on viewing woodworking shows I had taped over the last month, what woodworking show do you deem to be the best on whatever T.V. you have. Now before you simply give the name of the show you prefer, let's have a few guidelines: 1) the name of the show, 2) the station that carries it, and 3) you have to give at least three reasons why you would recommend it to others. Let the ratings begin!

Have fun,

Blane
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I don't know about the rest of you, But I have found the newest show on PBS, "Woodsmith" to be the best for the following reasons: 1) they take the time to explain the full function of the tool, 2) how to properly maintain the tool, and 3) the summary that is given at the end of the show. One of the most informative shows that I liked was on shop set-up, using a computer program to aid in shop design. I immediately though how handy it would be to have a similar program that would also have a Shopsmith icon that could be used.

I have always watched "New Yankee Workshop". The last show that I found really interesting was when Norm took an apparent non-woodworker through the steps in order to build a Adirondack chair. At least it appeared pretty convincing to me.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I really enjoy the woodworking shows when every cut and every hole comes out perfect the very first time. Just like in real life.:D
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I just sent them an e-mail with a possible show suggestion: How to fix foul-ups. I'll be interested to see what happens.
BPR
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

That's why The Woodwright's Shop is my favorite. Minimal editing, if Roy goofs you see it. I do like the New Yankee Workshop but everything is heavily edited and kind of sterile.

I suppose neither show is really too practical for the average woodworker.

Norm uses a wide range of exotic, expensive power tools that the average guy couldn’t possibly afford.

Roy uses a wide range of exotic, expensive antique hand tools that the average guy couldn’t possibly afford.

I wonder what would happen if you put the two of them in the same room!
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Howdy,

I like the Wood Works on DIY. It is a bit advanced, but the host makes everything look simple. The only tool he uses a lot that I don't have is a vacuum press.

I also watch several podcasts including the Woodsmith and the Wood Whisperer. Podcasts are cool because you can download them and either watch them on the computer or an iPod when traveling and disconnected.

Happy Trails,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

friscomike wrote:Howdy,

I like the Wood Works on DIY. It is a bit advanced, but the host makes everything look simple. The only tool he uses a lot that I don't have is a vacuum press.

I also watch several podcasts including the Woodsmith and the Wood Whisperer. Podcasts are cool because you can download them and either watch them on the computer or an iPod when traveling and disconnected.

Happy Trails,
mike
Where do you find the pod cast for Woodsmith?
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Is this what you are talking about as podcasts???

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=woodsmith
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Howdy,

I use a program called iTunes. It is free from Apple. Run iTunes, search the store for the word "wood" and you'll see it. Another approach is to go direction to the site: http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/.

You can see a link to download either mp4, wmv, or subscribe to it using iTunes. I like the iTunes approach because you can set it to automatically download all new episodes.

I hope Shopsmith eventually does the same thing with the sawdust sessions, etc.

Happy trails,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Check your local PBS listings for Woodsmith. PBS seems to be more in tune with what local viewers want. It never hurts to let them know what you would like to see, especially when they are doing pledge drives.

BPR