Thumbs up for Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

qtndas01
Gold Member

Thumbs up for Shopsmith

Post by qtndas01 »

After reading some posts about Shopsmith backorders I was hesitant when I placed my order on the 10th for the free shipping. I was purchasing alot of parts to rebuild my headstocks for the fist time since the 80's. I phoned in the order because I needed some parts that weren't on the website or in any old catalogs I have. As I was placing my order I kept hearing "thats on backorder". However, the last of my order arrived on the 17th. I don't consider that an extreme amount of time (I've had longer from other companies) for a backorder and hopefully that is a sign that they are getting better. Also, I was a little irritated when I saw that alot of things I ordered were now on sale at a cheaper price when the other sale hasn't ended yet. Shopsmith adjusted my order to the lower price and that's what I call customer service. I'm not the easiest person to please and alot of companies don't care about customers satisfaction and you can't even talk to a real person. I give Shopsmith a thumbs up and I believe they are on the right track for customer service.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I'm glad the backorder wasn't too bad for you. I wasn't so lucky on two things I ordered last year but then that is how it goes sometimes. I was disappointed because before this shipments had been so prompt. The expectations had been in place for a lot of years so now I have to adjust my thinking and plan a bit better. I have a couple of things I want to order as service parts to stock... I have not felt the need to do that before.

Another of my favorite companies like shopsmith has been having a interesting time in todays market conditions. They have always been prompt and very easy to do business with, so, like shopsmith they sometimes need a little more time to deliver now. I don't mind cutting them some slack and hey the stuff gets here sometime.

Just yesterday I got some parts that I had ordered back on Oct. 1, 2007, no not shopsmith stuff but from the other company I had mentioned. In this case they were doing a redesign of a part and they had run out of the old design. Now that was a long time to wait. However the new design is a major improvement so I'm glad they took the time to do it. Sometimes even small changes take a long time to get through the process and in to our hands. Now I could have gotten upset with them but what good would that have done??

Hey it's the new mellow me. Or maybe it just takes being retired for seven years to unwind??

Ed

Sometimes
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Talking about retired gents

Post by nuhobby »

Ed Reible & others,

On another post I plugged the movie, "World's Fastest Indian [Motorcycle]." If you can rent/watch that one, I think you'd like it a lot. It's about an older guy who is a genius at mechanical things. Stars Anthony Hopkins.

Privileged to be in all your company,
Chris
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

Some data points:
  • 510 dado table insert (555120) - ordered on 2/20, arrived a few days ago (3/14)
  • 24" aluminum miter extension (555429) - ordered on 3/6, estimated end of the month
  • rip fence-mounted featherboard (555783) - ordered on 3/6, still backordered
I am also waiting on a replacement 520 rip fence as the fence that came with my 520 was faulty. They are waiting on parts, and are told by their vendor that the parts will be shipped next week. That should allow them to get the fences assembled and I'll get it some time after that.

Ditto on "Indian" - excellent movie!

- Chris
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

I have relaxed on the backorder matter. When I received such kind help on several matters it was clear to me that this is a company which hires good people and is employing those folks in a laudable effort to avoid compromising quality. For that kind of committment from ShopSmith, I owe them my understanding and patience. SHOPSMITH FOREVER!!!mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

Hi mtobey,

I am in the same boat. If "just in time" manufacturing helps their bottom line but means that I sometimes wait for new toys, then I have plenty of other projects around the house to occupy my time.

- Chris
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Ordered on 16 March, received 19 March. 555193

Boy ws I SURPRIZED to get it that fast.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"Boy ws I SURPRIZED to get it that fast."

We sincerely hope that these sorts of surprises will become the rule and not the exception in the months head. I think you'll all see by mid-April that we've begun to turn the corner on this misadventure. We are, as ever, grateful for your loyalty and patience.

With all good wishes,
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I placed an order two weeks ago for the belt sander. was told it would ship at the end of this month. Yesterday I received an e-mail, my order had shipped. Right away I went to track my order. To my surprise it said package was delivered and left at my front door. I ran as fast as I could to the door. I could not unlock the door fast enough in anticipation of using my new sander. and their it was, but the package looked way too small. Well I did not receive my sander but HEY! that pocket oiler sure is handy. Talk about killing a guy LOL!!!
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

:) I need to put my new pocket oiler to use.
I just made a "big for me" order. The beauty of the shopsmith (as I'm finding out) is the versatility that allows me to continue on my project even while I wait.
Well OK, I bought a spare headstock so I can keep going if one is down.:D
Besides, half the time when a package arrives I don't get to it for about a week anyway.:o
Seriously, I can hardly wait for the 520 upgrade to get here!
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D