A Slow Boat To Nowhere

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

A Slow Boat To Nowhere

Post by algale »

It has been a looong time since I started this project last fall. After getting the strongback and stations cut and the strips milled I got stopped by a series of things that I won't bother folks with. But I have picked it up again and started laying strips. It is starting to look vaguely canoe like![ATTACH]25789[/ATTACH]
Attachments
photo(7).JPG
photo(7).JPG (114.7 KiB) Viewed 24305 times
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

algale wrote:It has been a looong time since I started this project last fall. After getting the strongback and stations cut and the strips milled I got stopped by a series of things that I won't bother folks with. But I have picked it up again and started laying strips. It is starting to look vaguely canoe like![ATTACH]25789[/ATTACH]
Looks like a great start! Making a beautiful wood canoe is one thing I have always wanted to do. I built a ski boat with twin 4 cly mercury's on it back in the 60's when I was in HS. Worked great and had a blast with her until we ran her aground and punched a hole in her hull. You are only a teenager once ... thank God!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

A little more progress has been made on the slow boat.
[ATTACH]25874[/ATTACH]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (156.99 KiB) Viewed 24168 times
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Looking good! Please do post pictures when you get to the "filling in the football" part of the hull. That is the most interesting part of the project to me.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Looking good.
Time isn't important.
Enjoying time is important.
It looks to me like you are enjoying the build so have at it. :-)
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ed: I'll take some photos of the football when I get there. I know that's the most difficult part to strip.

Paul: Yup, it is fun and a little addictive to finally be building my first boat. Massive time absorber, though, for such a little canoe (16' long by 36" in the beam). I can't imagine how long it must take to build something bigger.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:Ed: I'll take some photos of the football when I get there. I know that's the most difficult part to strip.

Paul: Yup, it is fun and a little addictive to finally be building my first boat. Massive time absorber, though, for such a little canoe (16' long by 36" in the beam). I can't imagine how long it must take to build something bigger.
Bigger boats, wider strips.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

It's Not Fair

Post by algale »

I'm having problems with the slow boat. At certain forms if I drive the strip flush to the form I am getting a dip at the form and the strip no longer makes a fair line. This does not happen on both sides of any given form and it is a problem on one side towards the bow on the other side one towards the stern. To minimize the problem I am letting the strip float about 1/8th of an inch above the form in some spots. I guess I will just soldier on and try to sand out as much of the dip/hump as possible when I fair the hull. My concern is that the strips will not meet along the center line towards the bow and stern.

Here's a sample.
[ATTACH]25891[/ATTACH]
Attachments
photo(7).JPG
photo(7).JPG (72.54 KiB) Viewed 24029 times
beatnik
Gold Member

Post by beatnik »

Could you use band clamps or tie down straps to help hold those in place ?
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

beatnik wrote:Could you use band clamps or tie down straps to help hold those in place ?

That may be part of the solution. I have cranked the strips down tighter to the forms and while this creates a "bulge" between the forms, if I push down with a finger midway between the forms, the "bulge" evens out into a more fair line. When I lay the next strip I will see if a tie down fixes the problem.