Kreg Deluxe Bandsaw Fence System

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

timster68
Gold Member

Kreg Deluxe Bandsaw Fence System

Post by timster68 »

Anyone have the deluxe bandsaw system? Opinions of it? I'm debating this but the sale of it ends in another day. I have a mid-80s bandsaw and I'm curious how good this system is. Thanks.
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

Here's something interesing:

Complete Bandsaw Rip Fence System
(Includes Mounting Rail & Hardware, Front & Rear Fence Supports & Premium Bandsaw Fence)
Price $174.99 Sale Price $136.99

Deluxe Bandsaw Fence System
(Includes Complete Bandsaw Rip Fence System, Micro-Adjuster & Re-Sawing Guide)
Price $209.97 Sale Price $167.97

Bandsaw Micro-Adjuster
Price $15.99 Sale Price $12.79

Bandsaw Fence Re-Sawing Guide
Price $18.99 Sale Price $15.19

If I read the descriptions right, the only difference between the deluxe and complete system is the inclusion of the micro-adjuster and ReSaw.

The complete system (136.99) plus the ReSaw(15.19) and Adjuster(12.79) comes to a total of 164.97 - 3 dollars LESS than that of the deluxe(167.97).

Am I missing something here.

Now I'm thinking twice......
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm not sure what you think you might be missing.

Yes, buying 556030, 522511 and 522514 on sale is 3$ less expensive than buying 556031 at its sale price and you end up with exactly the same equipment.

The only mistake I can see you making would be to buy 556031.

If this idiosyncrasy has you thinking twice - you ain't seen nuttin yet. Shopsmith does unusual things like this all the time in their sales campaigns. Just stay on your toes. You'll never get screwed but sometimes you could make out better if you look for this sort of thing before you submit your order.

The neat thing - if you are in doubt, call customer service (1-800-543-7586) and discuss it with them. They'll tell you straight out which is the best way to order.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Timster:

I bought the fence and Resaw last summer, I wanted the micro adjuster but it wasn't available at the time. I did not have any fence previously and have come to appreciate the Kreg fence many times since acquiring it. Just the other day, I used it to rip some 2 1/4'" thick maple and again marvelled at how easy and straight my cuts were.

I have tried the Resaw attachment but found that I get good results without it so I rarely reach for it. I would still like to get the micro adjuster and it is on my wish list.

One downside to the Kreg fence is that it makes the bandsaw much more awkward to place on and remove from the unit. If your bandsaw is permanently mounted, this obviously would not be an issue. The other issue, is the end that extends out from the left hand side can be a safety hazzard if you try to access the rear of the machine from that end (something I have to do due to space restrictions).

In short I like it.

Good luck with your decision.

John
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

john wrote:Timster:

I bought the fence and Resaw last summer, I wanted the micro adjuster but it wasn't available at the time. I did not have any fence previously and have come to appreciate the Kreg fence many times since acquiring it. Just the other day, I used it to rip some 2 1/4'" thick maple and again marvelled at how easy and straight my cuts were.

I have tried the Resaw attachment but found that I get good results without it so I rarely reach for it. I would still like to get the micro adjuster and it is on my wish list.

One downside to the Kreg fence is that it makes the bandsaw much more awkward to place on and remove from the unit. If your bandsaw is permanently mounted, this obviously would not be an issue. The other issue, is the end that extends out from the left hand side can be a safety hazzard if you try to access the rear of the machine from that end (something I have to do due to space restrictions).

In short I like it.

Good luck with your decision.

John

Thanks for the info. I checked Woodcraft and they sell the same stuff for generic bandsaws. Both the micro adjuster and Resaw are more on Woodcraft by a couple of dollars, but the main fence is currently around $30 less. Of course it isn't custom made for SS so I can live with that difference. Plus it has the SS logo on it which is an extra bonus. It also has a nice review of all 3 components which they liked. In the review they were mounting it on a Grizzly where he had to drill a couple of holes:

http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/Articl ... 3&friend=1
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

I added the Kreg Deluxe fence system, carter guide bearings and a new 5/8" Shopsmith blade. My re-saw was good before, but now it is fantastic. Folks that laugh at the little 11" Shopsmith toy sure don't know what they are missing out on.
ldh
waedison
Silver Member

How to install Kreg Fence System ??

Post by waedison »

I bought the deluxe Kreg Fence system. Sorry, but having trouble understanding the directions. I went to the S/S website and looked at the pictures of an installed system for reference, as I did not find the paper instructions helpful in terms of what goes where. By doing that, I'm sure I'm trying to install the back and front rail systems on the correct sides of the table. So, where the instructions say "Install the Front Rail table to the table": I find (4) untapped holes under the side of the bs table, but nowhere to install the front rail using the flathead cap screws the instructions say to use. Any information from this forum would be appreciated. Thanks/Butch
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

waedison,

I am not able to help you because I do not have the Kreg Fence (yet). But do not dispair. I know that there is at least one and think two members of this forum who have just recently resolved this puzzle. As I remember, their problems were EXACTLY the same as you describe.

Be patient, I'd almost bet that you'll have an answer yet today. Sorry I can't help.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

waedison wrote:I bought the deluxe Kreg Fence system. Sorry, but having trouble understanding the directions. I went to the S/S website and looked at the pictures of an installed system for reference, as I did not find the paper instructions helpful in terms of what goes where. By doing that, I'm sure I'm trying to install the back and front rail systems on the correct sides of the table. So, where the instructions say "Install the Front Rail table to the table": I find (4) untapped holes under the side of the bs table, but nowhere to install the front rail using the flathead cap screws the instructions say to use. Any information from this forum would be appreciated. Thanks/Butch
Butch,
I will try and post a pic of the front and back of mine for you. You will like it when you get it installed.
ldh
waedison
Silver Member

Post by waedison »

Thank you. Hope to get the pics so I can see what I'm not getting right. /Butch