Kreg Deluxe Bandsaw Fence System

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Please folks, please tell me that if you had carefully read the instructions this was all very clearly documented.

I'd hate to think that the installation instructions do not make this (self tapping screws) all very, very clear.

Are the screws the real give away? Should we be able to look at them and tell?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Dusty,
I installed mine correctly them promptly forgot how I did it. I guess one of those overlapping senior moments (days on end) caused me to give out some incorrect information. I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Do you ever experience those senior moments Dusty?
ldh
waedison
Silver Member

Post by waedison »

I did see in the instructions something about self tapping screws. Just a little confusing as there are two sets of instructions and the SS set says to do a certain number of things then refer to the Kreg instructions. Both sets of instructions I got were faded, as if printed on a copier that was running out of ink. The best pictures of an installed system are on the SS site. My thinking was that since there were tapped screw holes on the outfeed side of the table, there would be tapped holes on the infeed side of the table. Probably did not read the instructions carefully enough. Amazing I got to 62 years old.... I'll try the self tapping screws this weekend.
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

My fence is on "backorder" of sorts since I was told it is a made to order item. Which actually was great as I was able to remove the tilt lock assembly to see why when I tightened it or loosened it, it just spun in place.

It appears that part #517021(Bushing) is the culprit. The long table clamp bolt goes through it and has 2 little wings under the head. The bushing is just a long metal cylinder with an open slot along the length that the wing fits into and locks the bolt when turning. My bushing has pieces broken so the wing doesn't catch it.

So has anyone ever removed one of these bushings? It looks as though they only go in one way and out one way. I'm going to wait until I receive the new part (thanks again to cutomer service for adding it to my order) to make sure I do it the right way. But anyone that's removed that in the past, I'd love to hear how you did it.

-Tim
fjimp
Platinum Member

Horrid and Confusing Instructions

Post by fjimp »

I was amongst the first to purchase the Kreg system. The first set of instructions were jibberish. The second set shopsmith sent out was ever so slightly better. I did manage to get thru them on a trial and error basis. Actually one of the pictures in the instructions made more sense than the written instructions. Once I finally completed the installation I love the system. I seldom do exacting work but have found the Micro Adjuster a great addition. The worst part was clearing the Blue Air from my shop after the installation was completed.:p Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

fjimp wrote:I was amongst the first to purchase the Kreg system. The first set of instructions were jibberish. The second set shopsmith sent out was ever so slightly better. ... Jim
Is this because it is tough for Tiwanese folks to translate into English? Or perhaps from German to Japanese to Tiwanese to English?:rolleyes:
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
guvnuh4
Gold Member

Post by guvnuh4 »

Actually, I'm 98% certain that Kreg tools are manufactured in the US. I'm not sure if all of their tools are made here, but they have a manufacturing plant in Iowa. I know that their headquarters are located in Huxley, IA.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:Is this because it is tough for Tiwanese folks to translate into English? Or perhaps from German to Japanese to Tiwanese to English?:rolleyes:

Foul, foul. Six days in the penalty box. No sawdust therapy permitted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
guvnuh4
Gold Member

Post by guvnuh4 »

Oh, now that's just downright CRUEL man!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What? The crime or the punishment?:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty