2nd Utility light bracket

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

timster68
Gold Member

2nd Utility light bracket

Post by timster68 »

I have the SS Utility light and will soon be putting 1 of the 2 brackets on the headstock. Just not sure where to put the 2nd. Any suggestions for a good place for it?
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

I've got one on the back of the carriage. That way I can use one for the light and one for the vacuum hose holder when I'm sanding lathe turnings. In drill press mode, and when I'm using a SPT, I like to use the bracket that runs in the table miter slot to hold the light.

Gary
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

timster68 wrote:I have the SS Utility light and will soon be putting 1 of the 2 brackets on the headstock. Just not sure where to put the 2nd. Any suggestions for a good place for it?
I have two,one on eash side of the back of the carriage for the same reasons previously mentioned and one on my strip sander. If you dont have it, you may also want to order the T-track bracket so the light can be used on either the 520 table or rip fence.

BPR
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have two other applications for the lights that I find very handy. for one use a "C" clamp and hang one from the rafters it is out of the way and offers great light wherever I want it. Onother is mounted on an old base from a floor lamp. I actually have two mounted this way. I use one with the lathe and the other over my workbench and can point it any angle at any small hand work I am doing at the moment. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
friscomike
Gold Member

Do you need to drill mounting holes?

Post by friscomike »

Howdy,

I didn't see any instructions in the backet kit; will I need to drill holes in the motor housing, etc., when I attach the brackets are do holes already exist?

Best Regards,
mike
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Yes you will need to drill holes. A warning if I may. You would be well advised to open the access hole on the back of the headstock and pick a spot where nothing will be in the way and where the headstock is the thickest. I also suggest using a bit one size smaller than the one shipped with the light. I placed mine where I had seen one placed at a traveling academy and found the housing was a bit thin there. I have had trouble keeping the screws tight. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
friscomike
Gold Member

Post by friscomike »

Thanks Jim, that is exactly what I needed to know. Best Regards, mike :D
...now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have sawdust to make... ;)
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

It didn't take long for the screws to strip the threads after I installed the bracket on my SS Headstock. I went back in with bolt, nut and lock washer to fix the problem. Have not had a problem since. You might think about doing it that a way from the start.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Walt's suggestion is right on. It would be best to use a nut and lock washer.
I have one mounted on the band saw and one on the headstock. As to mounting the one on the headstock... be sure to mount it at an angle to allow for use when the headstock is in the vertical position.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I used Nylock nuts with lock washers on mine, it's not worth taking the chance on a loose nut and washer falling into the inside and doing damage. When I first went in the Air Force I worked on jet fighters, they taught us to have at least four threads protruding through the nut for safety.
Jim in Tucson