New to,me 10 er

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

New to,me 10 er

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Well,tomorrow I will be picking up a 10er I bought on ebay. Don't know why, but I had to hit the Buy it now button. I really don't need it! I plan on setting this one up as a dedicated drill press. My question... How do SPT's mount? (In case I change my mind and want to mount my band saw or belt sander on it!)...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Chris, without the (rare) A or B adapters for the model 10, or converting your headstock to a Mark series model, (which is doable) you can't mount SPTs.

Besides, you can't mount SPTs on a dedicated drill-press.

Really, since all Shopsmiths are basically lathes, and the first ones are (arguably) the best, why not run your ER as a lathe? As an added advantage, you won't get the hernia Bob has, lifting it up to drill-press mode. (You know, you can do 90% of drill-press stuff in the horizontal mode, and most of the time it's easier that way.)

If you want me to walk you through mounting a "ponytail" to an ER, let me know.
It is just wood and sheet-rock screws.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Chris,
does have a speed changer??? I love mine for a drill press!!! I have one for a lathe too but have not started to turn yet. I want to pull the tubes and clean them up this fall, and start turning this winter. I have that one on the basement shop, which I have not moved to yet. Out in the remote one for the summer and other projects out there. I miss one this weekend that the guy sold for 75, had a SC and tenon attachment and a lot of other bling. Clean as a whistle too.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

To mount MkV SPTs on a 10ER you need a [ATTACH]25981[/ATTACH].
Original ones are rare but MKC tools makes them and I think Shopsmith10er.com used to make them but I don't see them listed now.
I have also seen pictures on the Yahoo Shopsmith10ERusers site of people who made their own adapters from wood.
Attachments
pwrmnt1.pdf
(327.47 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Thanks for the information. Mainly, I was just curious as I already have a Mark V and the new Mark 7. This 10 er will probable end up wall mounted as a drill press, but you never know!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
2centsworth
Gold Member

Recommendation...

Post by 2centsworth »

I can not recommend more highly Skip of MKCtools to you. Skip is the guru for everything 10 E or 10 ER. He also has most of the parts or can get them for you. He has forgotten more then most of us will ever know about the 10's. He makes the SPT bracket you asked about, plus the couplers you will need to drive the SPT's. Keep your eye out for another 10 and buy it for the parts they are becoming harder to find and the parts are increasing in price. Check out the yahoo group for 10's as well. When you get to using your 10 think about upgrading to a DC motor, worth every penny. :D

Do a search here for: Everything E / ER - Technical info, documentation, links
Mickyd put it together and it is priceless. A great place to start.
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Got it home today and cleaned it up a bit. It was pretty clean all things considerd. I took it apart to get it into the basement. Why risk getting hurt? Before I took it apart I could not resist trying it out as I had not even plugged it in and had not tested it! Purred like a kitten, except for the set in the belts! I figure they will wear back in, if not, easy enough to replace. Speed changer worked very smoothly. Quill is a little stiff. I'll clean and wax that later. Had some misc parts in the drawer including a coupler and things that will remain a mystery for a while longer. Pics coming later this week.:)
Chris Neilan

TheBigE
Gold Member

Post by TheBigE »

Just get some belt conditioner from AutoZone. It comes in a spray bottle. It will take the set right out of that belt.
1986 Mark V 500, SS Bandsaw, SS Belt Sander, Shaper Package, SS Molder, SS Oscillating Drum Sander, Excalibur EX-II scrollsaw, Central Machine 6 1/8" Jointer, Rigid 13" planer, Various routers and table.

"Remeber, you're unique. Just like everyone else."
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Purred like a kitten, except for the set in the belts! I figure they will wear back in, if not, easy enough to replace. Speed changer worked very smoothly. Quill is a little stiff. I'll clean and wax that later. Had some misc parts in the drawer including a coupler and things that will remain a mystery for a while longer. Pics coming later this week.:)
Chris, look for some raw edge (or cut edge) fractional HP belts. If you are still running the old belts, the new style belts are MUCH better.

http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/t ... ts-FHP.asp

These are Goodyear's version, and are WELL recommended. Not only will these eliminate the "set," but they are MUCH more flexible, and work much better with the speedchanger. You will also eliminate flex power losses, which is CRITICAL to proper utilization of the Model 10. (At least, until you get one of Skip's DC conversion motors.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Serial number

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Starting to put this back together. The serial number is er 26151. Anyone give me a date of manufacture?
Chris Neilan