Planer $$$

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Planer $$$

Post by billmayo »

If anyone buys the Shopsmith Planer and it must be shipped, insist on a wooden box with the planer bolted to the bottom for shipping. Too much money to end up with bent posts and other damage. This very heavy planer does not ship well in other type of boxes. The extra cost for the wood box is well worth it. Of course, always check its operation immediately when it arrives.

Bill Mayo
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I've said it before; the Dewalt, Sears, and other cheaper planers are powered with universal type electric motors. This type of powerplant is inferior to the induction type motor, especially for stationary power tools. If you simply must buy on price, be aware that universal motors have brushes that wear out, operate at very high speeds, are noisy, and have a shorter life span than induction motors. Universal motors are not standardized. At sometime in the future, if you need a new motor or parts, you are at the mercy of the original manufacturer and their service capabilities. On the other hand, Induction motors are standardized by NEMA, and virtually any electric motor shop can repair or replace your motor.

As I remember, Nick has also emphasized some other important differences in features between the Shopsmith and "benchtop" planers. The old expression "you get what you pay for" may ring very true in this choice of tools.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

[quote="8iowa"]I've said it before]

Well said my friend! All a person has to do is to decide if the price difference of $700 or more is "value obtained" over another machine that will, in the worst case only last half as long. But in all practicality, be able to be in service for over a couple decades.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Let me add several more advantages of the Shopmith planer that are not readily apparent to all:

Because our planer has knives that can be resharpened, you can experiment with different cutting angles. Our sharpener convinced Drew and I to try a 37-1/2 degree angle on the knives for a super-smooth cut -- and it works extremely well. The knives wear a little faster because of the steeper angle, but it's a good mod. Resharpenable, regrindable knives give you the option of keeping several different cutting angles on hand for different tasks and materials.

Second, the entire cutting head can be pulled and replaced in a matter of minutes. This has two advantages. First, it's much easier to replace and adjust the blades with the cutter head out of the machine -- you just need a simple little jig that I can show how to make and use in a Sawdust Session. And second, you can keep an extra cutterhead with knives loaded on hand, either as a back-up or so you can quickly swap cutting angles.

With all good wishes,
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Nick,

I'm in for that presentation. Anything to make the changing and alignment of those blades easier!

Tips on using the SS planer/jointer sharpener.....?

Doc
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

chiroindixon wrote:Nick,

I'm in for that presentation. Anything to make the changing and alignment of those blades easier!

Doc

YES YES YES YES
termite06
Gold Member

Post by termite06 »

chiroindixon wrote:Nick,

Doc
Just tell me when.
Matt
SS 520, bandsaw, jointer, dust collector, lathe duplicator, router chuck, drum sanders
Chesapeake, VA

Post by PTWFE »

Having a backup on hand sounds like a plan, Nick, but could you refer me to the part online? I'm either looking in the wrong place or it actually isn't available as a part. Neither the Pro Planer or the Mark V mount list the cutterhead available as an assembly or as individual parts.
Thank you, Dr. Goldschmidt
From a Shopsmith activist since 1983 ;)
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"...refer me to the part online?"

With all good wishes,
PTWFE
Gold Member

Post by PTWFE »

Thank you sir. Perhaps you'll want to alert the website folks that on the parts listing for the Pro Planer,
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/partscat/proplanertableasmpartslist.htm,

as well as the one for the MV Mount Planer,
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/partscat/mvplanertableasmpartslist.htm,

that part is either surrounded by dashes or is indicated "NA".

Do you know if the part number you posted is for the cutter head assembly or just the cutter head itself? I'm assuming it's the latter. The assembly for both versions of the planer includes the leveling screws, wedges, wedge locking screws, knives, bearings and chip deflector.

Don't mean to make an issue of this but your suggestion was a good one I think. I just could not find the part listed as available and at what cost.

Thanks again.
Thank you, Dr. Goldschmidt
From a Shopsmith activist since 1983 ;)