How many tools does it take to build a bird house?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

How many tools does it take to build a bird house?

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I built several birdhouses this weekend. Not a hard project at all, but in the process I got to test the alignment of two Shopsmiths, a chop saw, and my 1963ish Craftsman Contractor Saw! Everything cut square just as it should! Too bad the 10ER was left out of the mix, but I'm still getting to know her.:o
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (142.74 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (129.97 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Yea you shuda got the 10er involved... Then you coulda justified the purchase of three Shopsmiths instead of only two.

Nice work ... had a fun day...
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Cool birdhouse. Thanks for sharing.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Interesting 'perch'.

I would say nice job, but that would trigger Bob.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

I make bird feeders, that ultimately/miraculously turn into squirrel feeders!!! I have found most birds, even if made to there design, dont frequent man made houses.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

rbursek wrote:I make bird feeders, that ultimately/miraculously turn into squirrel feeders!!! I have found most birds, even if made to there design, dont frequent man made houses.
Agreed! Most of my bird houses are miniture, and turned on a lathe. This one may or may not live outside. And in regard to squirrel feeders, they have to eat too. Just need to buy a whole lot more seed!;)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

These are some of the birdhouses I turn on my lathe.

Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

[ATTACH]26082[/ATTACH]

One of mine... Can't find the group shot!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.2 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Chris Neilan

"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Cool, really cool, to nice to put outside!!!
Chris, how did you get that "texture" on that one you posted?
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Bob, tool chatter?

Chris, am I right?
Captain Eddie showed that in one of his videos.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.