How NOT To Cut a Rabbett

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

How NOT To Cut a Rabbet

Post by dusty »

This is really fundamental beginner stuff but I know from experience that it is worth being mentioned (still again). There are many ways to get injured in the shop and this is just one of them.

I did not do this (recently) but I have done it and I was all set up to do it again. DO NOT trap the work piece between the cutter head (router bit) and the fence. DO NOT.

[ATTACH]26194[/ATTACH]
DO NOT do this. The work piece will almost certainly be propelled off the table to the left.

A rabbet must be cut with no wood between the cutter and the fence. DO NOT trap the work piece between the cutter head (router bit) and the fence.

[ATTACH]26195[/ATTACH]
The Safe Way to Cut a Rabbet.

The same advice is given for widening a dado that has already been cut. To widen a dado, don't do this.

[ATTACH]26196[/ATTACH]
DO NOT do this. The work piece will almost certainly be propelled off the table to the left.

DO NOT trap the work piece between the cutter head (router bit) and the fence.

[ATTACH]26198[/ATTACH]
Do This Instead. Notice that there is no wood between the cutter and the fence.

CAUTION: If you use your Mark V to perform routing tasks the procedures are a bit different. The work piece is fed left to right because the direction of rotation with respect to the work piece has changed. Before using the Mark V to perform routing tasks, please read this. My only serious shop accident occurred while using the Mark V for routing and shaping.
Attachments
To Cut a Rabbett_Don't Do This (Custom).jpg
To Cut a Rabbett_Don't Do This (Custom).jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
To Cut a Rabbett_Do This (Custom).jpg
To Cut a Rabbett_Do This (Custom).jpg (199.87 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
To Widen a Dado_Don't Do This (Custom).jpg
To Widen a Dado_Don't Do This (Custom).jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
To Widen a Dado_Do This (Custom).jpg
To Widen a Dado_Do This (Custom).jpg (199.4 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Thanks Dusty, but may be you could show those of us who are beginners, how to do it properly .... please ?
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Always good to review the correct way to do things before you get yourself in touble.

I do have one sugjestion, on images show the WRONG way of doing something it is advisible to put a circle with a slash through it in say red. That way it is clear that this is the wrong way.

This would be an example:

[ATTACH]26202[/ATTACH]

To me it just makes it more clear that this picture shows the wrong way to do the operation.

Ed
Attachments
To Cut a Rabbett_Don't Do This (Mod).jpg
To Cut a Rabbett_Don't Do This (Mod).jpg (152.61 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Thank you Dusty, that is good information to know.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thank you, Ed. Now all I have to do is learn how to draw like that on my images.

PS Got It Done! Thanks Again Ed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Good advice gentlemen. I occasionally have guests in my shop comment on the arrows and notes posted or written right on tools indicating correct procedures and directions for set up or cutting. One guy said hey if this is your shop why so many directions, he added that in my shop I should know all that stuff. I reminded him that one day he would be my age and would need all the help he could get. Later in his visit he confessed to being my age and at least as forgetful as I am. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I would like to thank Dusty and the others by suggesting ways of making things clearer for everyone. Now I see what not to do and the right way of doing it so I do not have an accident. I am very new at routing and it is not on my Shopsmith.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

camerio wrote:I would like to thank Dusty and the others by suggesting ways of making things clearer for everyone. Now I see what not to do and the right way of doing it so I do not have an accident. I am very new at routing and it is not on my Shopsmith.

Do not apply what is posted here to routing tasks performed on the Mark V in the drill press mode. If you are routing on the Mark V, I strongly recommend that you refer to this (a link to Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Cutting rabbetts

Post by algale »

This is why spelling is important.

[ATTACH]26206[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1363360220022-bugs_bunny_cooking_himself_gif.gif
1363360220022-bugs_bunny_cooking_himself_gif.gif (498.62 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

algale wrote:This is why spelling is important.

[ATTACH]26206[/ATTACH]
I believe that rabbit is a wabbit, no?

Ed