6 inch? 8 inch? that is the question.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ibskot
Gold Member

6 inch? 8 inch? that is the question.

Post by ibskot »

Anybody run an 8 inch dado set? I have a 6 inch but I'd like to has setups. Safe? Thanks
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

ibskot wrote:Anybody run an 8 inch dado set? I have a 6 inch but I'd like to has setups. Safe? Thanks
I run an 8 inch dado (Infinity Dadonator) on my 520 with no issues.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have both a 6" and an 8" dado. Both work just fine. The only advantage I see to a larger size would be depth of cut which would be seldom if ever needed.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Mine is an 8". No problems running it. Wish it were 6", though. I seldom need more than an inch of cutting depth.
Wasted the extra $$.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I have 6" & 8" and have no problems.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
ibskot
Gold Member

Post by ibskot »

Thanks for the replies.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

If you ever decide to get the Incra Ibox, it uses up 1/2" of your depth of cut, so the extra 1" depth of cut provided by the 8" dado may come in handy if you do deep joints.

Mike
Fla_Jim
Gold Member

Post by Fla_Jim »

I've used a Forrest Dado king 8" for years on my shopsmith. Never had a problem.
Matter a fact I just used it to make shelving at my son's new house, with my old .75 hp Dewalt MBF RAS. I had to feed a little slower, but worked fine.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I do use it with the I Box Mike. Never thought of that. So far, I've never needed more than a 3/4X3/4 cut, though.
I also use Freud SBOX8 Box Joint Cutter Set, which is 8", with no problems, either.

Mike907 wrote:If you ever decide to get the Incra Ibox, it uses up 1/2" of your depth of cut, so the extra 1" depth of cut provided by the 8" dado may come in handy if you do deep joints.

Mike
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton