PowerPro Rattle on Startup

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rickm808
Gold Member

PowerPro Rattle on Startup

Post by rickm808 »

I have a brief, less than a second, low rattle when I start my power pro above 2000 RPM. It's more noticeable, i.e. a bit louder, under load like with a saw blade on the spindle. Otherwise it is purrs smooth as silk. Is this typical? Is there an adjustment I need to make? I haven't talked to ShopSmith yet. I thought I'd asks the experts here first. Thanks
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Mine does that in tablesaw mode. I've had it 4 years and didn't stress over it.
Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

According to SS the rumble is caused by the computer adjusting torque to compensate for the load and is not a concern
Bill V
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

According to SS the rumble is a result of the computer adjusting the torque to adjust for the inertia of the startup. Less rumble at low speed is because there is less inertia at low speed. SS says it is not a concern
Bill V
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

rickm808 wrote:I have a brief, less than a second, low rattle when I start my power pro above 2000 RPM. It's more noticeable, i.e. a bit louder, under load like with a saw blade on the spindle. Otherwise it is purrs smooth as silk. Is this typical? Is there an adjustment I need to make? I haven't talked to ShopSmith yet. I thought I'd asks the experts here first. Thanks

Yes, typical!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rudy49
Silver Member

Re: PowerPro Rattle on Startup

Post by rudy49 »

On my machine the rumble does not go away. As I increase the speed it gets louder and higher pitched. Is this normal?

I have had it 3 years but used very little until the few months - maybe 30 hours total until now. I don't recall it sounding like this when it was new.

All advice appreciated.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Sounds like belts need to be adjusted to me. I readjusted mine recently and eliminated 90% of the rumble.

Jack
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A while back I found a new rattle and traced it to a loose set screw on the new quick-index quill handle. With the set screw slightly loose it would rattle as it was powering up. If I put my hand on the lever it wouldn't vibrate, without my hand on it it would. Checked and found the set screw loose so I fixed it and there went the rattle.

Then just the other day I head a new rattle. That turned out to be the fact I had taken the upper blade guard off to do some rabbits and for got to tighten the wing nut....... a couple of twists and that rattle went away.

Moral of the story is look for something loose in addition to other possibilities. It could as was mentioned be loose belts, or needs to have the belts re-balanced. We have also heard of loose pulley due to set screw coming loose on I think it was the motor????

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rudy49
Silver Member

Post by rudy49 »

Thanks all. I will check these out over the next few days and let you know how it works out.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

As I said back in September of 2014 (above) the rattle is typical. After reading, communicating on this forum, I assume the "rattle" (or slight banging noise) when starting from a dead stop to 3450 RPM was caused by the motor self correcting itself while rapidly gaining speed.

Today, after edging a few boards on the jointer, I noticed there is no such "rattle" on starting from a dead stop to 3450 RPM.

Then I put on a saw blade to cut lengths from these boards - and left the jointer coupled. So the future startups turned both the jointer and the saw blade. THERE WERE NO SUCH NOISES!! only the winding up whir of the machine.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA