2 Bearing & Poly V upgrade

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

By what I am reading here, am I correct to assume that all the castings are the same for early and later MArk 5s, and that the Greenies are convertible from Gilmer to new style easily?
Way cool info.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

wiredone wrote:By what I am reading here, am I correct to assume that all the castings are the same for early and later MArk 5s, and that the Greenies are convertible from Gilmer to new style easily?
Way cool info.
Yes, they are convertible. I would say that the conversion is easy, but it does depend upon your mechanical ability and the condition of the Greenie headstock.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

SDSSmith wrote:Yes, they are convertible. I would say that the conversion is easy, but it does depend upon your mechanical ability and the condition of the Greenie headstock.
It also depends, somewhat, on how many you have done. Since you have done more than one or two, it might be a lot easier.

That said, I have done a tear down and rebuilt with no significant problems.:)

It would have been even easier if I had used some sort of a system to keep track of the parts as I pulled them out.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

wiredone wrote:By what I am reading here, am I correct to assume that all the castings are the same for early and later MArk 5s, and that the Greenies are convertible from Gilmer to new style easily?
Way cool info.
Conversion should be simple from gilmer to poly-v. There are some differences between the three headstocks, but the most significant one is whether or not there is an access hole behind the logo.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

What logo? Mine (Greenie) does not have a badge plate or access hole.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

mgdesigns wrote:What logo? Mine (Greenie) does not have a badge plate or access hole.

You should have one on the rear of the machine, roughly in the same spot as the speed changer. Maybe yours was taken off and ya don't have an access hole.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob