Do We Need Changes To This Forum

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Should Admin Allow A Thread's Originator To Block/Delete Posts To That Thread

No but we need to make some other changes to the Forum such as...
31%
38%
31%

Total votes: 55

algale
Platinum Member

Do We Need Changes To This Forum

Post by algale »

Until recently, this Forum has been a pretty congenial place, except around election time. Today's events make clear that the Forum is going to permanently change for the worse if we don't do something to stop the current trend of using other's threads as an excuse/opportunity to tell inside jokes and hold a dialogue that isn't related to the thread with one or two other members. Accordingly, I'd propose that Admin see if they can add a function so that the person who starts a thread can block or delete
posts to that thread.

Do you support the idea? Got a better one?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

From what I've experienced on other forums, this wouldn't be any kind of solution. If you can't trust people to post in an existing thread, you can't trust them to block or delete posts from other users. The originator of the post is not a neutral party.
I say it needs to be left as-is. The Administrators need to make the call each time they think something is getting out of hand. They can be the neutral party making the decisions.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I wonder if there is a way to prevent people on one's blocked list from being able to post to a thread that one created.

Perhaps thread owners can start marking this space of unwelcome way off topic posts as inappropriate in an attempt to illustrate how bad the forum has become in the last couple months.

EDIT: It would also be nice if ignored users posts didn't show up in a thread at all when viewed. As it is now, some useful threads are so littered with the 'ignored' entry that they are difficult to find the on-topic posts.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Do We Need Changes

Post by dusty »

Since I started all of this, I am going to break silence and speak my piece.

Yes, there needs to be some changes.

This is a wood working forum intended, at the time of its origin, primarily for Shopsmith owners. If it returned to that, there would be very few, if any problems with the forum.

A certain amount of off-topic discussion occurs on all forums. With this forum, at this particular time, the off-topic discussions are over whelming.

If I was the Administrator, I would strive to reduce all chatter that is not related to the title (the topic) of the thread in which it occurs.

"Conversation" within a thread would be related to the title of that forum section. That is "Maintenance and Repair" is about Maintenance and Repair". "General Woodworking" is about General Woodworking.

Yes, the categories are hard to make fit every discussion that some originators would likely initiate. That is where the Moderator has to cut us some slack but at the same time impose some control. Gross violators need to be informed that they are out of bounds (sent to the penalty box).

After being sent to the penalty box some number of times, expulsion is in order.

In addition to these ideas, I would propose another significant change to the forum structure. I feel that there needs to be a category for other than Shopsmith supported tools and equipment. Example: Shopsmith does not support Magna/Yuba tools and equipment. The 10/10E needs to have its own Forum category. Put 10/10E discussions in a group by themselves.

I have said my piece. I'll now return to whence I came.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

dusty wrote:Yes, the categories are hard to make fit every discussion that some originator would like initiate. That is where the Moderator has to cut us some slack but at the same time impose some control. Gross violators need to be informed that they are out of bounds (sent to the penalty box).
Unfortunately, we don't have any Moderators other than Admin (at least none that I'm aware of). Granted, there hasn't been much need for any in the past. Might be time to request the capability from Admin and find a few to volunteer.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roy_okc wrote:Unfortunately, we don't have any Moderators other than Admin (at least none that I'm aware of). Granted, there hasn't been much need for any in the past. Might be time to request the capability from Admin and find a few to volunteer.
Guess who the first to volunteer will be.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
stevespix
Gold Member

Post by stevespix »

Guess I will add my two cents here. It's not just this forum that these things happen but for the most part all of them. Like this or not most people are just too thin skinned these days. Get over it. I simply choose not to read the posts and move on, it's like the TV if you don't like it change the channel . My one issue here is of the thought police, people always wanting to tell me what to think or what is bad, I can figure it out for myself. If you spend more time in your shop and less time in here you might be surprised at what is accomplished. Be sure to include pics!
forrestb
Platinum Member

I worry about unintended consequences

Post by forrestb »

I agree that it is wrong for a thread to be hi-jacked with comments that don't apply. I also am not confident that the thread originator can be trusted to not abuse the blocking power.

I'm with Dusty on two of his items:

1) ADMIN needs to have a penalty box for those that violate the subject of a thread, or post inappropriate comments. And repeated violations is worthy of expulsion. Is ADMIN willing to assume that responsibility? Trying to have multiple 'volunteers' can be unwieldy and maybe bias those with a stake in the thread's issue. Come on, folks! We have a Community Forum for non-thread or non-Shopsmith or non-woodworking items.:mad:

2) I think that 10s do deserve their own Forum. It would be nice if it showed on this Forum for those that may be interested as a side-light.

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I have noticed a substantial decrease in posts relating directly to Mark Vs and asking/answering questions related to woodworking techniques. Also, there have been little photos of completed projects (including myself).

Yes, the helpful aspects of the forum have dwindled as have the number of posting members.

It has helped my interest in the forum to use the "Ignore" function. I only ignore the one who consistently refuses to spell and writes in non-sensible phrases-- and cannot understand positive suggestions. Some say this guy has something to offer. If so, the nonsense severely outweighs any good. The ignore function most likely exists for cases like this.

I agree that a an additional forum subject for model 10s would be helpful toward directing discussions to that unique portion of Shopsmith/Yuba machinery.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Well, I've been catching up for the bulk of the morning and it looks like the same issue keeps coming up (knowing this thread is tied to dusty's).
First, as far as off topic in threads, I do see it often in various forums. Not sure how OFF you mean with regard to this poll. But, generally 2-3 posts off topic in long threads does happen.
Second, should there be changes? I'll guage it by one forum I frequent. If someone is out of whack, angering others and is generally a pain, the forum has frequent posters who run them off. The frequent posters tend to be quite direct (using the best 4 letter words of the Kings english) to do so. That forum, of course, isn't tied to a company. Very few are ever banned for small stuff. It's the real crazy that gets the attention.
Just a comparison. Don't know if it helps, but I've rarely seen stuff on here that's pushing the boundry. Then again, I don't post here much as I used to. I've clearly missed something.