10-in-1 tool

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

Interesting back story. Thanks.

A couple of years ago I was taking a safety course for a motorcycle endorsement - but this one was specifically for scooters. You could bring your own if you wish and one person brought one that was brand new, had all the bells and whistles (even an alarm) you could imagine. On the surface it looked nice - but it was still imitating the look of my Vespa. During the test, that "imitation" scooter stalled out and they couldn't get it started again. It was made in China. The person had to finish the test on an Italian (Piaggio) scooter instead.

Sometimes you REALLY do get what you pay for - you buy cheap you get cheap.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Anyone remember the Total Shop? I purchased my Shopsmith 510 at a show in 1989 for $1,299.00. Total Shop was right behind the Shopsmith display for around $900. A friend purchased that because it was cheaper. His Total Shop broke a long time ago and it is junk because no parts are available.
Sure glad I got the Shopsmith.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Vespas!

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Timster, I love the classic Vespas.
Character, in spades.
I don't mean to highjack the thread, but Mods and Rockers were Cool on the classics like Vespa and lambretta.
Someone is knocking off Lambrettas overseas now with the naming rights.
Sad days, and another reason I'm glad I found Shopsmith.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

termite06 wrote:
...:D QUALITY = U S A :D...
That's what I've been trying to say!
Nick wrote:....................Although it's my undertsanding that many if not most of the parts are now made in China -- when quality doesn't count, it's even cheaper for the Taiwanese to have things made in China!
What I have to say about all of these knock-offs: Image
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I have a grandson who works at Harbor Freight. Therefore, I received a HF gift certificate for the Holidays. After spending time in the local store, being shown around by my grandson, I settled on a few tools. After using them, I can assure you that they are in the same category as my disposable razor. Very poor tolerances, flimsy controls or triggers, and cheap enough to be disposable. Don't tell my grandson, it was a gift from the heart to help my hobbycrafts. Even their measuring tools, tapes, squares, etc, lacked the detail I would expect and require in my shop. I'm sure there is a market for cheap. I've had some pretty cheap tools before I decided to improve my performance and purchase ShopSmith, Hawk, Grex, etc. Quality really does make a difference in performance.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
termite06
Gold Member

Post by termite06 »

Quantity
Quantity
Quantity
Quantity
Quantity < Quality
Matt
SS 520, bandsaw, jointer, dust collector, lathe duplicator, router chuck, drum sanders
Chesapeake, VA
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

kalynzoo wrote:I have a grandson who works at Harbor Freight. Therefore, I received a HF gift certificate for the Holidays. After spending time in the local store, being shown around by my grandson, I settled on a few tools. After using them, I can assure you that they are in the same category as my disposable razor. Very poor tolerances, flimsy controls or triggers, and cheap enough to be disposable. Don't tell my grandson, it was a gift from the heart to help my hobbycrafts. Even their measuring tools, tapes, squares, etc, lacked the detail I would expect and require in my shop. I'm sure there is a market for cheap. I've had some pretty cheap tools before I decided to improve my performance and purchase ShopSmith, Hawk, Grex, etc. Quality really does make a difference in performance.
Occasionally our extended family gets together for a Christmas party. We have been known to do a gift exchange. During the time that I was working in the wholesale tool business, one such gift exchange party occurred. My cousin, about 10 years my junior, had my name and gave me a set of tools. I expressed my appreciation. They were what I wood (sp) call 1st generation Chinese crap. The metal was soft]http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images ... stupid.gif[/IMG]
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Like the sign my wife won't let me hang in the front of the bakery says:

QUALITY
SERVICE
PRICE

Choose any two!:)
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Alan:

I like that!! :)

Customers however might not.

Cheers

John
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:Timster, I love the classic Vespas.
Character, in spades.
I don't mean to highjack the thread, but Mods and Rockers were Cool on the classics like Vespa and lambretta.
Someone is knocking off Lambrettas overseas now with the naming rights.
Sad days, and another reason I'm glad I found Shopsmith.
Every scooter that I see nowadays just about tries to copy Vespa's look and flow but none quite pull it together not to mention mechanically they are superior (in my opinion).

As for Shopsmith, the fact that I could order today one small piece for my bandsaw is pretty amazing:D . If it were a cheap knockoff, I'd probably have to buy a new one.