Oil Water based differences ..

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Oil Water based differences ..

Post by rjent »

What is the main difference (from a woodworking point of view) between say a water based and oil based polyurethane. The idea of working with an easy to clean up medium appeals to me, but are there advantages to using oil based?

Ready to be enlightened ..... :D

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

I finished a bedroom furniture build earlier this year. I used General Finishes water based stain and water based poly (GF High Performance Poly). I hated the stain and will never use a water based stain again. Way too difficult to apply evenly (as compared to oil). I liked the w/b poly mainly because of the ease of cleanup since I sprayed it. As for advantages of oil vs. water, I can't really say. I will say that the w/b poly dries quicker and seems to have the same end result as the oil based.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Water based or oil based? DON'T mix the two. Oil stain with oil top coat.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I see oil-based products, as well as shellacs, really having an advantage on dark woods as well as exposed end-grains. They sink in and look great. On the other hand, water-based poly can look 'whitish' in some of those end-grain situations.

This being said, I've had some projects where I've used an oil or shellac first coat, and then did the following coats with water-based poly, getting the best of both worlds.
Chris
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

OK, methinks that there is no simple answer here. I bought some WB from Minwax (I know, but I am not good enough yet for anything better yet) WB polyurethane as I have been using oil based until now. I did some T&G wall covering panels 25 years ago in my office and had half a gallon left over so I was using it.

Minwax says on the label that it can be applied over oil based stains so I will try it.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope the WB work as well as the OB, it will sure make it easier to use and clean up.

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

I struggle with finishing but lately I've been getting nice results, stress free, using Waterlox. It's been around a long time and is worth looking into.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Water based products always seem to disappoint me. They lack the long term durability of the oil based products. If you use oil based urethane, you can expect your finish to last longer than you do. With water based products, don't be surprised if you end up re-doing it again sometime in the future.
Water based urethane is still a far better product than shellac for durability, but it isn't up to the durability of oil based products.
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

rjent wrote:What is the main difference (from a woodworking point of view) between say a water based and oil based polyurethane. The idea of working with an easy to clean up medium appeals to me, but are there advantages to using oil based?

Ready to be enlightened ..... :D

Dick
Here's a link that has a couple of links. Lots of info on just about any type of finish on the Flexner site.
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

beeg wrote:Water based or oil based? DON'T mix the two. Oil stain with oil top coat.

Oil and water don't mix, that's why lithography works, but I follow oil based stains with water based top coats frequently without any issues. In this thread http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=15305
I detail the finishing schedule where I've done just that.

Let me point out that it is imperative that the stain(s) have completely sunk-in/dried/flashed-off before top coats are applied.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Okay you all had your says and experiences. I am back and a finish guro. Water based stains on large medium to large areas dry faster then the wipe off time, they are a latex product. 2nd no matter what you use, a coat or 2 of 1-2lb cut shellac seals it for a next coat no matter what base it is.
Water based Poly dries the clearest of any finish, it adds no "yellowing" to it, the natural time of patina, fine for some things like over "milk paint" to keeps its true color.
You use a dye to get the color you want, then a coat of thin shellac or a cut oil based poly, then a buff with maroon pad. or 320 grit lightly, then an oil based stain of the same color you want, to fill the pores of the wood, the pigment in the stain goes into the pores that were not filled with the shellac or the poly, and now you have the color and the stain pigment gives it depth!!!
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.