Thickness planner vs MDF?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Thickness planner vs MDF?

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I need a piece of MDF that is slightly less than 1/2 inch thick. I have a supply that is just over. Can MDF be run through a thickness planner? Definitely would use a dust collecter and my Trend Air Shield!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I see you have a belt sander. You might try that. I would imagine that a planer is going to do a number on the material.

How much do you need to thin?

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

rjent wrote:I see you have a belt sander. You might try that. I would imagine that a planer is going to do a number on the material.

How much do you need to thin?

Dick

I need to thin it less than 1/8 inch. I'm making a support panel for my Dubby Sled and it has to be dead flat. I could order a piece for $$$, but I already have a scrap piece. Kinda one of those metric vs standard things I think.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I need to thin it less than 1/8 inch. I'm making a support panel for my Dubby Sled and it has to be dead flat. I could order a piece for $$$, but I already have a scrap piece. Kinda one of those metric vs standard things I think.
Put some 80 grit in the belt sander and I think you could take your 1/8th inch off easily. I ran a belt sander 35 years ago when I worked with NASA and have just gotten this SS belt sander up and running. I am impressed. as for accuracy, just take your time and keep measuring with a straight edge. I am afraid that the planer will chip out chunks

JMHO

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

rjent wrote:I would imagine that a planer is going to do a number on the material.

Dick

I wood think that the MDF wood do a number on the blades.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

As beeg has said, the MDF will dull the blades much more quickly than real wood but the planer does a fine job on MDF. Just do very, very shallow cuts.

The dust will be horrendous. If you do not already have the capability, I suggest you acquire the capability to sharpener your own planer (and jointer) blades.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try. Nothing to lose except a piece of scrap MDF.
Dusty, thanks for the advice. I've had the planner (Dewalt) for three years and have not yet sharpened the blades. It's cutting fine but could probably use a touch up by now. I do have a Tormek T-7 with the planner blade jig and I've used it on my Shopsmith jointer. Works great! I'll sharpen after... :) I bet it's a pain in the calf getting these blades in and out:eek:
Chris Neilan

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try. Nothing to lose except a piece of scrap MDF.
Dusty, thanks for the advice. I've had the planner (Dewalt) for three years and have not yet sharpened the blades. It's cutting fine but could probably use a touch up by now. I do have a Tormek T-7 with the planner blade jig and I've used it on my Shopsmith jointer. Works great! I'll sharpen after... :) I bet it's a pain in the calf getting these blades in and out:eek:
Only is you leave them in place for an extraordinary long period of time. I sharpen mine frequently enough that they do not seat enough to be a pain.

On the other hand, you do not want them to come out too easily.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I need a piece of MDF that is slightly less than 1/2 inch thick. I have a supply that is just over. Can MDF be run through a thickness planner? Definitely would use a dust collecter and my Trend Air Shield!

In the past I have built several painted projects using MDF that required both the jointer and planer. It has been my experience that the surface of MDF is more dense than the middle when you plane off the surface the exposed surface is not as hard & smooth as the original surface. I would be interested in your results. If you decide to use the planer to surface the MDF.
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

beeg wrote:I wood think that the MDF wood do a number on the blades.

Agree. The wood in the particle board isn't the problem. The glue that holds it together will likely eat up your blades.
I'd use wood instead of MDF. Wood is a better product.