Curious Power Pro glitch

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Curious Power Pro glitch

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Gang
I was putting a few hours in the shop building a cabinet for the wife's sewing room and ran across what was an odd glitch that I can't reproduce.
The SS was plugged into a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord with a three receptacle end which is in good condition.
Also plugged into this cord was a 12" DeWalt miter saw.
I was using the miter saw for about 45 minutes to fit some molding to the cabinet and then switched back to the SS to make some rip cuts and the PP display was dark!!
The breaker was OK and I tried the miter saw and it was OK, then flipped the main switch on the PP and the panel remained dark.
I quickly switched the PP to another outlet on the extension cord and the panel remained dark.
Thought I was going have to install my spare headstock so I unplugged the PP and set the main (AC) switch to "OFF".
About a minute later I tried one more time and plugged the PP back in and turned the AC switch on and I got the turn on jingle and all was OK after that.
Question; Is it possible that the electrical noise from the universal motor on the DeWalt miter saw could cause the electronics in the PP to exhibit this kind of a problem?
I know that the universal motors used in the saw as well as Skillsaws and other power tools can throw some hellish EMI noise back on to the power lines. Wonder if anyone has had any similar occurrences?
Bill V
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

[quote="wa2crk"]Hi Gang
I was putting a few hours in the shop building a cabinet for the wife's sewing room and ran across what was an odd glitch that I can't reproduce.
The SS was plugged into a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord with a three receptacle end which is in good condition.
Also plugged into this cord was a 12" DeWalt miter saw.
I was using the miter saw for about 45 minutes to fit some molding to the cabinet and then switched back to the SS to make some rip cuts and the PP display was dark!!
The breaker was OK and I tried the miter saw and it was OK, then flipped the main switch on the PP and the panel remained dark.
I quickly switched the PP to another outlet on the extension cord and the panel remained dark.
Thought I was going have to install my spare headstock so I unplugged the PP and set the main (AC) switch to "OFF".
About a minute later I tried one more time and plugged the PP back in and turned the AC switch on and I got the turn on jingle and all was OK after that.
Question]

Yes, noise from the very dirty UM on the saw could have forced the PP into a "save yourself" mode. We have to remember that the PP is a very digital, computer driven device with all of the pluses and minuses of that technology. Personally, and I don't know this for sure, but I feel the PP is one of the most protected digital devices to come along in a long time. The fact that you can switch voltage and it senses and adjusts is an example. I think you are fine, but the PP just protected it self.

JMEHO. Thirty years of digital experience for what it is worth.

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

rjent wrote:Yes, noise from the very dirty UM on the saw could have forced the PP into a "save yourself" mode. We have to remember that the PP is a very digital, computer driven device with all of the pluses and minuses of that technology. Personally, and I don't know this for sure, but I feel the PP is one of the most protected digital devices to come along in a long time. The fact that you can switch voltage and it senses and adjusts is an example. I think you are fine, but the PP just protected it self.

JMEHO. Thirty years of digital experience for what it is worth.

Dick
Ah, so- haven't thought about 'crowbars' and such for decades. And nowadays instead of reaching for a soldering iron you just wait a few minutes or hit Reset.
I like it.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

You need to remember that the Power Pro is controlled by what is basically a computer. Like all computers, it will lock up, glitch, and do all kinds of stupid things that will force you to power fail it and reboot it.
Get used to it or go back to something mechanical that doesn't have the option to screw up like that.