Great, great grandson's Christmas gift

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Great, great grandson's Christmas gift

Post by curiousgeorge »

A few weeks ago someone sent me a link to a Youtube video about building a Model 1874 lever action rubber band gun. HERE is the link. Needless to say I was thoroughly impressed. So I downloaded the free PDF assembly and pattern file as well as the parts 1 & 2 instructional videos and a week later here is the results...

[ATTACH]26705[/ATTACH]

There is still quite a bit of finish work to be done, like rounding off the stock and more sanding, but at least it's assembled. I haven't decided if I will stain it, paint it or just leave it as is. Which would you do?
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG (68.33 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

GEORGE, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??!!!!:eek:
You are giving your GG son a gun?
He'll shoot his eye out!!!:D
OK sarcasm off.:rolleyes: Nice job.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

curiousgeorge wrote:A few weeks ago someone sent me a link to a Youtube video about building a Model 1874 lever action rubber band gun. HERE is the link. Needless to say I was thoroughly impressed. So I downloaded the free PDF assembly and pattern file as well as the parts 1 & 2 instructional videos and a week later here is the results...

[ATTACH]26705[/ATTACH]

There is still quite a bit of finish work to be done, like rounding off the stock and more sanding, but at least it's assembled. I haven't decided if I will stain it, paint it or just leave it as is. Which would you do?
I vote for stain. different areas different colors.

Lucky boy!!!!

Back in my day carbon paper tracing!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Another vote for stain (or dye) not paint.
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

I doubt there is a kid in the universe that wouldn't love that to play with. Nice job. Lucky great-grandson to have a great-grandpa like you.
Regards,
Dwight
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

WOW!!! George. That is a lot more complicated than I had first thought. How long did it take you? I would also vote for stain in multi colors.
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

kablerj wrote:WOW!!! George. That is a lot more complicated than I had first thought. How long did it take you? I would also vote for stain in multi colors.
I would estimate at least 15 to 20 hours. You have to wait at least an hour between glue ups. Not to mention the time it takes to cut out and sand each little part. There are more parts than you might think in this thing.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I also converted the plans from PDF to MPC files to work with my CarveWright cnc machine. The cut outs are way faster and accurate with the cnc. Here is my second build with the cnc...

[ATTACH]26711[/ATTACH]

Because the pieces were cut cleaner and more accurate there was a lot less sanding involved to get the pieces to fit.
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG (67.13 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I say to heck with my grandsons, I want one for me and they can fight over mine when I no longer need it.

Fine project!

Ed
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

curiousgeorge wrote:I also converted the plans from PDF to MPC files to work with my CarveWright cnc machine.
George, I've been considering a CarveWright. Seems like you have had yours for near two years. Could you please open a new thread in the Tool Review section to give us your opinion of the machine, the software, and customer service.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."