Today in the antique store

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the antique store

Post by reible »

Since I've been on medical restrictions for the last couple of weeks I've had time to go out to some local antique shops.

The wife and I have really enjoyed our times at the places we have visited. One thing that seems different is that they are a lot more crafty then in the past.

I'm also enjoying some of the old time woodworking items. Saw some drawers out of an old pedal sewing machine with such detail and construction methods that far surpass modern efforts by miles. I'm now thinking of shopping for those type drawers, take them and add your own case, should be interesting. The drawers run $8 to $10 for the normal ones and higher for the fancy ones. You see mostly a grouping of 4, sometimes 6. So maybe you have to mix and match to get a nice cabinet of say a dozen together.

Anyone here done that?

Maybe do a set for the wife and then a set for me to keep stuff in, and we've got stuff that needs to have a place to be. Would be a good project to test your fine woodworking skills that is for sure.

A couple more post to follow, shinny old tools will be included so stay tuned.

Ed
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with .... :D

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

That sounds like an interesting build, Ed.
Looking forward to seeing it.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The other parts of going into antique stores is finding some tools. Not likely to be bargains but then you have the to touch and feel aspects missing from ebay transactions. I have to admit to being banded from garage sales until I get things in the shop and house in order, not that that will ever happen....

So I've been doing more tuning these last couple of years. I've got a large caliper and a mid sized one but no smaller sized one. I've looked at some cheap junk versions but I could not make myself buy one. Have not shopped for a better quality ones either but there was the nice smaller version just sitting there staring at me.

Felt nice in my hand and it wasn't too expensive. Yes it will need some cleaning but I can handle that. It was made by Star Tool Co. out of New York so made in the USA. We hit it off and it came home with me.

Made me a happy camper and the wife didn't mind a bit. I have it sitting on my computer table and just like to pick it up. So let me introduce this new to me tool.

[ATTACH]26893[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
IMG_5679[1].jpg
IMG_5679[1].jpg (95.79 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The next item I found was a square made by Union Tool Co. out of Orange Mass. Again made in the USA and a nice hefty tool. Quality wise it must have been on the high end.

[ATTACH]26894[/ATTACH]

Yes more work for me but it has such a nice feel that I'm looking forward to seeing it all new looking again. These tools are tempered steel so while I know little about this model I do know it will be a nice tool to be used and not for sitting around gathering dust.

Ed
Attachments
IMG_5682[1].jpg
IMG_5682[1].jpg (105.75 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The next item I'll not name so if you don't know what it is or how it works you can try to guess. I've used this type item a lot when I was younger and while the model I had was a bit more aggressive this will suit me fine (story of how I lost mine is way to convoluted to describe without me feeling bad so it will go untold).

I will say that this tool has Pat. Sept 18, 1904 no idea when this one made. It is new to me and I have plans to leave it as is and use it this way.

[ATTACH]26895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26896[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
IMG_5683[1].jpg
IMG_5683[1].jpg (64.19 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
IMG_5684[1].jpg
IMG_5684[1].jpg (90.07 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:The next item I'll not name so if you don't know what it is or how it works you can try to guess. I've used this type item a lot when I was younger and while the model I had was a bit more aggressive this will suit me fine (story of how I lost mine is way to convoluted to describe without me feeling bad so it will go untold).

I will say that this tool has Pat. Sept 18, 1904 no idea when this one made. It is new to me and I have plans to leave it as is and use it this way.

[ATTACH]26895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26896[/ATTACH]

Ed
No guessing required. I'm as old as you are. I've used one too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

reible wrote:The next item I'll not name so if you don't know what it is or how it works you can try to guess. I've used this type item a lot when I was younger and while the model I had was a bit more aggressive this will suit me fine (story of how I lost mine is way to convoluted to describe without me feeling bad so it will go untold).

[ATTACH]26895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26896[/ATTACH]

Ed
As am I.

(Well, probably not as old, but I've used one before.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I am probably as old as you guys, I have never used one, or seen one for that matter (not a cowboy's tool). Had to look it up, the tool is still available. You can buy new ones on Amazon (different brand) .... :D

Amazing. I wish I knew about them earlier .... :rolleyes:

Dick

Oops, just looked at Dusty's profile, OK, I am not as old by a decade ... LOL
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Not only have I used one I used it as recent as last year. It does its job very well but not always without a bit of damage. Yours is a lot older than mine and obviously of very high quality. Mine only dates to maybe the mid 1960's or a little earlier.
If I didn't have one I would go buy one, they are that useful.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill