Power Station vs. Shorty

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Power Station vs. Shorty

Post by algale »

Until now I've been a one-Shopsmith owner. I've got a 520 and a bunch of SPTs. I've gotten to the point where I am thinking about adding either a shorty or a Power Station to the stable.

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a Power Station versus a Shorty??

Ready...go!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Until now I've been a one-Shopsmith owner. I've got a 520 and a bunch of SPTs. I've gotten to the point where I am thinking about adding either a shorty or a Power Station to the stable.

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a Power Station versus a Shorty??

Ready...go!

If I could to go back in time to remake a couple of those decisions, I would not own a Power Station. I would have a Shorty; maybe two in addition to my full size Mark V Model 520.

I cut off 16" and if I could I would put back 1". One inch does make a difference!

Versatility is the primary factor making a difference.

Variable speed range and HP are as critical factors.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I love my shorty:)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
2centsworth
Gold Member

Shorty for sure.....

Post by 2centsworth »

Having both :D hands done the shorty is the better decision. It's major advantage is a back-up headstock if needed ! Power and speed control is better with the shorty vs power station. Trust me I love them both but the shorty is the way to go. I use my power station as a dedicated bandsaw station and love the flexibility it offers. I have three shorties. One dedicate sanding station, one dedicated lathe (my favorite Shopsmith) and one SPT station current holding my planner and jigsaw. I have cut 16 shorties this past year and sold almost everyone one of them in less then two weeks time of posting. I show people the advantages of the smaller foot print and that it can do 90% of the big unit and they gobble them up. Don't get me wrong the power station is a great addition to my shop, but if I could only have one it would the shorty. Bill Mayo and I talked about them and he has been making shorties for a very long time and I believe will tell you the same thing. Get a shorty ! Plus you can make the length what you need. Cut 12 , 14 , 16 inches off they all work great.
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Easy choice for me. I have enough stuff on hand to make a dozen shorties / mini's but I would have to go buy a power station...
I am not on a first name basis with the power stations but from what I have seen / read I would probably still go with the shorty even if I had to start from scratch either way.
I currently have 5 SS's and a shorty in the shop and I am considering cutting one more into a shorty.
My 510, the old Mark VII, the 10-ER and one restored Mark V will stay full sized.
With my home made Shopsmith "Push-me Pull-me" double drillpress I don't see me ever lifting one of the other's up into drill press mode. At least not in this shop.

I'll start a new thread to talk about what may become shop #3 to avoid hijacking this one... :rolleyes: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Defiantly a shorty. I have a shorty and a mini.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The Power Station is shorter than a shorty. Mine is dedicated to my bandsaw, which makes it very easy to wheel around in a tight space.

Sometimes you can get a Power Station on CL basically for free, along with an SPT.

If you were buying new, a Power Station is much less expensive than a Mark V.

All that said, I'd generally prefer a shorty as well.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

MINI. Even after modifying a Mark V headstock to fit on the Power Station platform with a reversible motor, it still only allows me to have one SPT mounted at a time. The Power Station has limited RPM range and I found the vibrations was greater. However, switching to link belts did help a great deal with the vibrations.

I had modified a few 500 main tables to fit the MINI many years ago. I still have one left that I use on my Mark V Power Station to sharpen joiner and planer knives. I cut off the legs and welded them to fit the SPT holes so I would have a sawing capability for both my Power Station and the MINI. Plus the 500 main table tilts so I do a better job with the both the conical and regular sanding disks. This also was used as an extension table by me for years for my business cards in my Home Show booth. I had great difficulty selling the other few that I made at that time. I am thinking of modifying a few more of my 500 main tables but I have doubts if I can find a market for them. I still have the fancy jig I used for the welding of the legs. This modified 500 main table aligns perfectly with the regular 500 main table when used as an extension table.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Due to losing the ability to lift I made a decision a few years ago to purchase motorized stands from Shopsmith for each of my add on's. The only tool this has been questionable for me has been the band saw as I sometimes would like to vary the speed. My shorty has no headstock and is used with an overarm pin router. I never lift my Mark 7 to use it in drill press mode as I added an old 10ER which has been converted to a full time drill press. This configuration works extremely well for me. Incidentally every tool in my shop sports red wheels so as to make the constant rearranging far easier. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.