Good deal on Irwin bar clamps

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrispitude
Gold Member

Good deal on Irwin bar clamps

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

I found a good deal on Irwin quick-clamp bar clamps. If you go to Amazon.com and search for these items (or click the links I added below), you'll find the following prices from Grizzly:

"Irwin H1039" (12" - $12.00)
"Irwin H1040" (18" - $13.25)
"Irwin H1041" (24" - $14.25)

These prices are much better than Amazon's own prices (even factoring in free shipping), and are also much better than the prices on Grizzly's webpage for these same items. I have no idea if this is a price mistake, something that will get fixed back to the higher prices, or if they will even honor the order, but I thought I would pass it along. I ordered 4 of each for myself, and 4 of each for a buddy (to split shipping).

I believe these are made in the USA.

- Chris
drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

Truth is you can never have TOO many clamps. I assume you are familiar with pipe clamps. After using them you will probably "need" to buy more. The advantages of bar clamps are:

1) You can make them any length you need. That is to say, you could have many pipe lengths and only a few of the "clamps." Therefor lowering you shop overhead and have more money to spend on wood. (he he he)

2) The way they are inherently designed, you can use two pipe clamps as one. The feet can be turned 90 degrees and clamp onto another pipe clamp. This will give you and enormous reach with your clamp. Some projects you need that large clamping reach. And if you need it, you need it.

3) The screw mechanism gives you oodles of clamping pressure, in case you have a board that just won't agree to be where you want it be.

4) Well the fourth advantage is only on the cam system of mounting the clamp to the pipe, opposed to the pipe thread mounting system. If you have the cam mounting system you can easily use the clamp as spreaders. And you may not think you need this, but you will. Someday there will be a project that will stump you on how to do the clamping. Mark my words.

I did some price comparisons, and truthfully they are really reasonable. $8-ish for 1/2" pipe and $13-ish for the 3/4" pipe.

Be good,

Drew
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
hardway
Gold Member

Post by hardway »

Thank you for the link. I like these clamps because they are not too heavy and I can work them with one hand when needed.

Drew makes a good point on pipe clamps but I can not seem to find a good price on the pipe part of the clamp. It seems theat pipe has gone way up in price because of the weight.
Tom
Masontown, WV
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

drewa wrote:I did some price comparisons, and truthfully they are really reasonable. $8-ish for 1/2" pipe and $13-ish for the 3/4" pipe.
Drew had some excellent points!:) He could probably even add more!

I favored 1/2" pipe clamps for three reasons. First they weigh less and are easier to handle. Second, the Pony clamps to fit 1/2" pipe are less expensive. Third, they are still strong enough to give good clamping pressure.

I have some 3/4" pipe clamps, bought at a yard sale. I've used them, but consider them 'clunky".
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

chrispitude wrote: I found a good deal on Irwin quick-clamp bar clamps. If you go to Amazon.com and search for these items (or click the links I added below), you'll find the following prices from Grizzly:
- Chris
You bet Chris! Thanks for your post! These are very good prices! I have and use Irwin clamps, but usually to hold pieces for hand or machine work. My experiance with them is they just don't develop the pressure other clamps will. I'll also use them to hold glue-ups in place until getting other clamps in place. The Irwin's are fast and real good for this purpose. They are part of the indespensible inventory in the shop. Everyone should have a set of these! Get at least two of them that can also be used as spreaders.

The only thing I have had trouble with is the rubber feet that sometimes want to slide off. This is cured by reversing the positioning of the feet so they slide on from the bar side.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA