Broken band saw blade - will 72.5" from Lowe's work?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgdesigns
Gold Member

Broken band saw blade - will 72.5" from Lowe's work?

Post by mgdesigns »

I recently moved to another house, and upon using the Shopsmith Band Saw for trimming new oak flooring, the blade broke. Can I use 72-1/2" from Lowe's as a quick replacement?
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Broken band saw blade - will 72.5" from Lowe's work?

Post by JPG »

72" +- 1/2" according to the manual. So as long as it is not over 72 1/2" it should work.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Thank you JPG. I can go to Lowes at lunch time, and get a couple cheapies, and be back on course tonight. Sure wish they had a wider blade than 1/4", though.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you have a Woodcraft store, check there. Woodcraft here in Tucson carries a blade that would work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Lowe's is on my way home, and Woodcraft is 20 miles out of the way, and way too tempting. I might have to spend $2500 for new Jet JWL-1462-EVS-2hp lathe, rather than $8 for a blade:-)
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

mgdesigns wrote:Lowe's is on my way home, and Woodcraft is 20 miles out of the way, and way too tempting. I might have to spend $2500 for new Jet JWL-1462-EVS-2hp lathe, rather than $8 for a blade:-)
You may want to go out of your way - I think Jet Lathes are 15% off and stands 50% off through Dec. 1st.

Mike
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

It will. I've used one for years. Just adjust the tension by feel not the gauge.

BTW - Going out of your way is a bad practice. For example, Las Vegas is just out of my way from Hisperia and there are some hot chicks that are just out of my way from my family; who's to know? That $2500 you spent at the table and the STD (or is it SPT?)would cost you far less. Go to Lowes.
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

I am probably to blame for the blade breaking because I have been lazy. I set the new blades on the wheel, and tension to use, then do not de-tension when putting them into storage. Since I've owned the old Greenie, it has lived in a garage (I guess my SOWMBO thinks it's inappropriate to have it in the bedroom), and now lives in an unheated not enclosed carport with tarps over it to keep the weather out. I wish there was an easy way to tension and de-tension the blades, like most dedicated bandsaws.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mgdesigns wrote:I am probably to blame for the blade breaking because I have been lazy. I set the new blades on the wheel, and tension to use, then do not de-tension when putting them into storage. Since I've owned the old Greenie, it has lived in a garage (I guess my SOWMBO thinks it's inappropriate to have it in the bedroom), and now lives in an unheated not enclosed carport with tarps over it to keep the weather out. I wish there was an easy way to tension and de-tension the blades, like most dedicated bandsaws.

Have you tried drilling an access hole for the SS tool kit so adjusting tension does NOT include removing the cover?

FWIW, about 1 turn / 1/8" blade depth.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

JPG wrote:
mgdesigns wrote:I am probably to blame for the blade breaking because I have been lazy. I set the new blades on the wheel, and tension to use, then do not de-tension when putting them into storage. Since I've owned the old Greenie, it has lived in a garage (I guess my SOWMBO thinks it's inappropriate to have it in the bedroom), and now lives in an unheated not enclosed carport with tarps over it to keep the weather out. I wish there was an easy way to tension and de-tension the blades, like most dedicated bandsaws.

Have you tried drilling an access hole for the SS tool kit so adjusting tension does NOT include removing the cover?

FWIW, about 1 turn / 1/8" blade depth.
I will do that trick, and probably install a sight window for the indicator too. I've thought of making a knob for the set screw so I don't have to hunt for the allen wrench, and that will also easier adjusts on the fly.