Mike Young

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Mike Young

Post by rjent »

I had the great pleasure of meeting Mike Young yesterday. He was demoing the PowerPro at Lowes in Albuquerque. I drove the 150 miles to Albuquerque to go see him do his thing.

What a great guy and SS ambassador! He and I talked between demos for about 4 hours. His machine is about 30 years old, totally updated to a Mark 7 and was pristine...looked brand new except for the "usage signs" on the way tubes.

I approached him and told him I already owned a new Mark 7, a 10ER, and a Mark V. He "used" me at times for input during his demos which was fun. His knowledge and abilities were just amazing!

It was amazing to watch people who had never seen a Shopsmith before get blown away at it's function and the SS owners, get amazed at the capabilities of the PowerPro.

Thoroughly enjoyable experience. He will be in Santa Fe next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I bought a conical sanding disk and the knife sharpening jig for it from him with the discounts.

I was ready to buy another one! LOL

Just though I would share the experience! :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mike Young

Post by algale »

How many folks would you estimate stopped and watched and what ages? I went to one of these a while back (I'm going again to the Lowes in Gaithersburg, MD, next week) and very few people stopeed and those that did were by and large 50ish or over.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

algale wrote:How many folks would you estimate stopped and watched and what ages? I went to one of these a while back (I'm going again to the Lowes in Gaithersburg, MD, next week) and very few people stopeed and those that did were by and large 50ish or over.
Most were at least 40 and up. His largest "crowd" was about 20 people. I heard one guy say to his wife "look a wood lathe demo" and they stopped. Mike then did is "forced" rip cut converting to table saw in seconds :eek: showing the power of the PP and when he converted to the table saw mode, he told his wife, I've got to stay and watch this, I will catch up with you later LOL.

Many were SS owners and were very interested in the PowerPro.

All told, I'll bet he demo-ed his unit to about 50 people during the 4 hours I was there.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Doc
Gold Member

Post by Doc »

Hi rjent
I saw your post on mike young demo February 2015. Now Fast fwd to February 2017 a week or ago in Lowes Pasadena , tx. I drove 2++ hours from Louisiana for his demo, only to find that Lowes had him set up at the very corner of the contractors last loading door. U know ,the other loading door thats on the far side of the last cash register in the corner of the building. I hobbled all the way down there ( on my walking cane) and didn't see him or the machine. So after looking around , I turned to leave and asked a Lowes associate about the demo. He pointed me back where I just walked from. When I looked past the candy, soda cooler and snack rack, I barely saw the lights over the shopsmith backdrop sign. i expressed my concern as a customer and I asked that he relay my concerns to the mgr. since he the Mgr. couldn't be found.. Lowes shouldn't have moved him out of sight like that. I had to look really hard and still barely saw the sign. I didn't see Mike or the shopsmith till I passed the obstruction by the gang boxes.
All in all i had a very good visit with mike, and I think I put in some pursuasive words in for his last sale to the couple standing there.lol. It was 4 of us there when he demoed the mark 7, and His presentation was spot on. Btw I got my 7 in summer 2015, plugged it in in December 2016 to make sure it ran ok, then started it again this weekend and ran it for a while. It has a rattle on start and then sounds like somethings loose inside.(belt, pulley, ball bearing ???)
It will be 2 yrs in sept. And I haven't used it yet, but it shouldn't sound like that.
So now I've been starting it every day for the past 3 days ,and just let it run for a few minutes. Still rattles When started and when running . kinda reminds you of an old wobbly lawn mower wheel when u spin it fast and it hits that wobbly spot.That actually bothers the hekll out of me.
Anyway I'm going to record and video this sound on my phone and hope to see mike in Plano, tx on the 16,17and or 18 of February . Maybe this is something simple.??? We will see. I haven't blogged in a while, saw the posts and thought I'd share. Thanks ....and
Happy woodworking. I'll be happy when I'm set up and able to get started woodworking , and not just starting and stopping the woodworking machine. Lol
Thx again .
Doc
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

A brand new Mark 7 that is yet to be used. That is just plain shameful. I do hope that you have contacted Shopsmith Customer Service.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Hi, Doc -

I don't know if this is your problem, but when I received my PowerPro headstock, it made noises similar to some that you describe. It turned out that the idler shaft had been displaced inwards during shipping, causing the drive hub to rub on the vent plate.

Something to look at.

Mike
Doc
Gold Member

Post by Doc »

Yep, gonna have to contact customer service. I only ran it once until I saw mikes demo. Then I got inspired, came home and ran it the other night , it didn't sound like mikes machine. But I didn't know that. I feel a vibration also. Since I had nothing to compare to, I was unaware anything was wrong till I heard how quiet and smooth Mike's Mark 7 machine ran. Also mine got rather warm at the top left side at the case split line.I think that area may May be a suspect spot. Yep that is just darn shameful . A Brand new 16 mo old machine. Oh well !

Thanks Mike907. did u have to send your headstock back to SS? Boy that would not be good for me. BUT I'll just add that to my list. 2015 and 16 was pretty rough for me , so I'm just thankful to still being on the right side of the dirt. I do believe in prayer and miracles. I just can't figure why that money tree I planted only produce Bills and not $$$$ Dollar Bills. Lol. Thanks fellas, I will update as I can. This may take a while.
Needing a miracle,
Doc
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Doc -

If the idler shaft has moved, it's easy to fix. First check to see if that is indeed the problem by checking whether or not the lower drive hub is rubbing on the vent plate. If it is, remove the upper and lower drive hubs, remove the two screws holding on the belt cover, and slide the cover off. Loosen the bolt holding the idler shaft eccentric bushing, and reposition the idler shaft. You'll then need to adjust the belt tension and re-tighten the bolt. DO NOT over tight the bolt because you can break the cast ears. See Checking Belt Tension in the Maintenance and Troubleshooting section of your manual.

For more help, you can watch this Sawdust Session:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt3.htm

Mike
Doc
Gold Member

Post by Doc »

Contacted cust serv, tried to send video clip by email. Waiting for response. I viewed Elmer Fudds video on the driveshafts, very informative I wish they weren't so grainy. I have trouble viewing his blurry clips .btw , lower shaft is not rubbing vent as I can see.
Thx ,
In progress.....
Doc
Gold Member

Post by Doc »

Contacted cust serv, tried to send video clip by email. Waiting for response. I viewed Elmer Fudds video on the driveshafts, very informative I wish they weren't so grainy. I have trouble viewing his blurry clips .btw , lower shaft is not rubbing vent as I can see.
Thx ,
In progress.....