Help with the Lathe

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jeffp
Bronze Member

Help with the Lathe

Post by jeffp »

I've only had my MarkV for about 3months. Trying to operate the lathe, the end stock is dead and doesn't turn. This causes the wood to get hot. Is there something I am missing. It just seems to me that both ends should turn
Tks,
Jeff
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

You need a "Live Center", Shopsmith sells one for $30 (505602) but is lacking features you will need eventually. The tailstock is a standard #2 Morse Taper and lots of companies make kits with many different tips. Use Google or eBay and search for #2 "live center". I own this one it was about the same price but includes a lot more flexible tips.
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

This is from the manual.

WARNING
Wax or soap the end of the stock that mounts to
the cup center. This lubrication helps keep the
center from wearing into the stock and causing
the stock to loosen on the lathe.

That being said, I too bought a ball bearing center and have never used my cup center.
charlese
Platinum Member

Tailstock cup center

Post by charlese »

I have thought about buying a tailstock live center, but never got around to it. Have done all turning using the cup center. Beeswax and lower speeds while rounding have done the trick to stop burning. Just finished a pair of salt/pepper mills (from Wood magazine). The cup center still works just fine. My next lathe purchase will be a chuck. Think that would be a lot better than using my faceplate. I bet the live center would be easy to work with, but I usually wind up parting the workpiece so that the cup marks are eliminated as scrap. Therefore can't justify a live center.
charlese