Lumber Liquidators

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kablerj
Gold Member

Lumber Liquidators

Post by kablerj »

Have any of you fellows installed floor from LL? I'm considering their flooring for the new house. But I see that there is a possible class action against them. It appears to center on Formaldehyde Levels in some of the flooring they sell that is being produced in China.

I am going to the local store tomorrow to have a look. Any input would be appreciated.

Jim
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Lumber Liquidators

Post by Gene Howe »

We installed a little over 1K sq. ft. of their bamboo about 5 years ago. No problems with formaldehyde.
I'd open a box of your chosen flooring and take a whiff. If there is formaldehyde present, you'll know it.
sawwood
Gold Member

Post by sawwood »

It has to do with some of there laminate flooring from China. In that now famous "60 minutes" story they did a "deconstructive test" that indicated high levels of formaldehyde being produced by the glue used in the wood particle core. This all stemmed from 2 investors that SHORTED LL stock and then came out with this story which literally "hammered" the stock!! The latest I heard was from the Consumer Product Saftey Commision:

"The CPSC will test the product for formaldehyde emissions in an environment mimicking how the product is used in the home, i.e., a real world test similar to those conducted by LL itself, rather than the deconstructive test deployed by CARB (the California Air Resource Board). CARB is testing for compliance with its standards, while the CPSC is testing for dangerous levels of exposure from a public health perspective. The CPSC said that the probe would likely take months, rather than weeks,"

Looks like the jury is going to be out on this one for awhile, but I'm guessing that once you put the floor down it should be ok unless you plan on DECONSTRUCTING IT. :confused: The flooring in question is only the laminate flooring from China which only accounts for about 15% of the flooring LL sells. So if your not buying any of that then I wouldn't see a problem.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

SOUNDS like the temp housing for Katrina victims a few years ago.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

The only contact with them was a few years back and it was for the most part negative.

I was in Spokane and stopped by to check on flooring that was advertised. They were out of that particular style so the sales person offered to show me a different brand and style. It was over four times the price of what I had asked about.

When I said it was not what I was interested in his comment was "well, sure, this is expensive and some people just cannot afford it" :mad: I knew that tactic from suppliers for projects, shame me into being a cheap skate.

I then became the a****le I was known for when dealing with insolent and or incompetent subs. Smiling and appearing interested, I proceeded to order about 4K worth of product. Beaming the salesman began writing up the order. When he finished I asked if I could speak to his supervisor about "quality" of the service. When the supervisor got there I changed demeanor and explained how thoroughly I had been insulted, cancel my order and then handed the supervisor my business card. He profusely apologized. I said not to worry. I was going back home, check to see if LL was on the approved vendor list (I knew they were) and would have them removed by the following week (and yes I did do that - what is that saying about absolute power and corruption!! :D )

High pressure and bait and switch was what I got from them, but maybe they changed.

I've mellowed with age! Now I would just demand that the salesman be taken to the woodshed and afterwards invited to a blanket party!! :p ,

I hope your experience is vastly better than mine!

Be well,
Ben