Alternative Edge Guide for a Circular Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bffulgham
Gold Member

Alternative Edge Guide for a Circular Saw

Post by bffulgham »

Here's my poor man's version of an edge guide.
I've got 1 that's about 66" long for cutting Baltic Birch sheets and another that's 96" long for cutting standard plywood sheets.
Show face down.
Place the edge guide on top of the 'keeper' piece.
Edge guide is a ZCI for one side of the blade.
Use a good, sharp, appropriate tooth count blade for the job at hand.
Made from 1/4" tempered hardboard
Made from 1/4" tempered hardboard
IMG_9168 (Custom).JPG (141.57 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
IMG_9169 (Custom).JPG
IMG_9169 (Custom).JPG (131.04 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
Zero-Clearance Insert
Zero-Clearance Insert
IMG_9171 (Custom).JPG (90.85 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
Another thing that helps prevent tear-out on the top side is to run a strip of masking tape down the cut line.
IMG_9172 (Custom).JPG
IMG_9172 (Custom).JPG (108.27 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Alternative Edge Guide for a Circular Saw

Post by charlese »

I've been using one similar to this for years. It works very good. Yes, tape on the saw line prevents most tear-out.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Ditto here. A great tool for fitting doors. Also have one for using a router which comes in handy.
Paul
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

That is what I use as well.
Mine is just 1/4" OSB and has served me well. I do want to make a shorter one, maybe about 52".
I keep promising myself that I am going to start cleaning up my jigs (and replace a few tired ones) and give them a coat of paint / varnish.
Sometimes I am not as good as I would like at keeping those promises to myself... :rolleyes: :o :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The shop made guides are fantastic. However the track system is also very very nice! First saw is captured so you can' t steer away from the guide. Also since the track is metal and sectionable you can store and use it easier and don't have to worry about weather.

Plus you can renew the cutting edge of guide easily.

My biggest problem using the shop made guide is I tend to overreach when cutting sheet stock and the saw pulls away from the guide edge. The captured saw solves that problem for me.
Last edited by Ed in Tampa on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

I have trouble even with something like that. I mean, I can hit a bird in flight with a stone, but I can't cut a straight line with a circ saw. Go figure!
So I consider a circ saw just a faster way to make a hand saw cut. Then clean up edges with a plane, as usual. Sorta like bandsaw, same same- cut close to the line.
And dang if it aint more fun, too.
davemcghee
Silver Member

Post by davemcghee »

The next best thing after a saw guide you can do to help get a straight cut with a circular saw is put on a new quality blade, and adjust your blade height to barely cut through the wood. If you are still cutting with the blade that came with the saw then it's time to change it out for a new one.

Currently I am using Freud Diablo blades on my Mark V 500, my table saw, my compound miter saw and my circular saw. They are slightly more expensive than the cheapest blades but not so much that they break the bank. They are worth the extra.