The China Syndrome.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

a1gutterman wrote:I hear what you are saying. Technologies come from all over the world. The US are knot the only ones to invent. I wood like to reiterate from an earlier post, I am not against any people. Ethnic Chinese that are American citizens, are Americans, as all American citizens are, from where ever in the world they came from. I do knot want to seem picky, but the people that you brought up, the rocket scientists and Mr. Einstein, came to America and became citizens of this great country. I do not consider their work as that from another country.

Your Chinese friends, I assume they are US citizens, have every right to be proud of their ancestors and relatives, but, as I see it, their people are Americans, not Chinese. My ancestors are from a mix of European countries, not the least of which are the Irish. When I think of my people, I think of my fellow Americans, regardless of their ancestory, I do knot think of my people as the Irish.

I am glad that you brought up the produce that we get from South America. In my neck of the woods, much local produce is available for a great portion of the year. There are times when things are out of season, and there are items that just do knot grow here. These items are imported from those South American countries, as they are having summer when we are having winter. But importing/exporting with those countries is a little different then with China. It is "trade". With China, it is a one way street: Their product comes here, our money goes there. And China uses that money to our detriment.

On the thing about the unions, I have previously posted how I feel. And you do not seem to want it discussed. I will leave that as that.

The only item that I am crying "It's not fair" about, is the Most Favored Nation status that our government has given to a country that has publicly declared us their enemy. They are using, and will continue to use, American dollars to build up their war machine and when they are ready, will use it against us. The Chinese have loooong memories. They are still at war with us, albeit, not an visibly active one. To my knowledge, they have knot agreed with our country on a peace plan]edit: BTW, I wood be oakay with [/I]TRADE with China, I just do knot believe we have that.
Most excellent post -- Tim!
Ed
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Two weeks ago I had taken a class in Logistics and Manufacturing. After talking with local businesse owners that are have interests in China in manufacturing goods for U.S. markets, I am convinced that over the long term, we will see manufacturing returning to the U.S. for three reasons: 1) Transporations costs, 2) the labor rate gap is rapidly closing between Chinese and U.S. workers and 3) a weak dollar means that U.S. exports will become more attractive to foreign consumers. One local business which makes parts for automation says that few parts that are coming from Asia (not China) will be consolidated here for the reasons mentioned. Also, consumers are becoming more educated on this subject.

On a related note, if you are interested in learning more on this subject, the Discovery Channel will be aired beginning at 10 pm either on 7/9 or 7/10.

BPR
blockhead-mark-v
Silver Member

We can compete

Post by blockhead-mark-v »

Keep in mind that China has yet to deal effectively with issues that we in the US have grappled with for decades such as coal mining safety, labor unions, health and retirement, and environmental concerns too numerous to list. They stiill even have asbestos mines over there!

Cold blooded as it may be, good ole American capitalism will thrive in the decades ahead as long as we do what we do best, improvise and adjust. As long as we remain flexible, we'll be fine.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

dusty wrote:I'm withdrawing completely from this debate.

We are, in my opinion, not respecting the purpose of this forum. This is, after all, a "Woodworking Forum".

Some may disagree and that is okay but I will not continue doing what I personally believe is inappropriate to do on this forum.

Thanks Dusty you have stated my feelings exactly. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.